Fuji Hands-On CES 2013

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
A full day at CES yesterday, and I made straight for the Fuji stand in the central hall as my first port of call.

8365934179_0132a00111_b.jpg

Fuji had a good display of technology from snappy cams through the X series, to pro TV cameras and lab photo printing machines.

I spent about an hour with the Fuji team. looking at the new equipment and asking as many questions as I could.

8367001548_d1c80d83b9_b.jpg

X100S

It looks and feels exactly like the original X100 - only the S gives it away.

All accessories fit the new camera, and they have designed a new leather case with a built-in flap for the battery/SD Card slot.

The rear of the camera has a minor change, the RAW button is now the Q button.

8365934509_f943912756_b.jpg

Manual AF is easier as the lens now requires fewer turns to move focus.

The Menu for MF allows you to select split screen focus (shown above) which delivers a nice digital form of the old focus technology - it's easy to decide if focus has been achieved, and it works well.

You can also select the focus peaking feature.

This shows areas that are in focus with a ring type highlight - and is very effective when using the EVF. Its's very clear what is in focus using peaking - a good addition for MF users.

The Fuji reps said that both features required the new focus sensors in the X-Trans II, so would not be implemented in older cameras using firmware.

The X100S is silver only for now - they were tight lipped about a black version - but one rep suggested that three months after launch there might be more news...

Over-all the camera looks the same, performs faster for AF, and has the new features - a good upgrade.

X-20

I've not used the older X-10, so this was all new to me.

8367002704_0e638d7f1f_b.jpg

Very similar look to the X100S - also available in black from day 1. Good build quality and weight - very small with zoom retracted.

AF seems snappy and the rear screen is good - no focus peaking or split screen as far as I could tell.

8367002878_3cdfbaea7e_b.jpg

Both the X100S and the X-20 were pre-production models, so I was not allowed to take any images with them.

X Series 14mm Lens

I got the chance to fit the 14mm lens to my X-Pro1 and take some test shots at the show - the lens needs new camera firmware to enable all functions, which was unavailable, but it seemed to perform AF just fine.

8367002510_93b884a626_b.jpg

Here's the 14mm on the X-E1 (ignore the incorrect lens hood)

And here are some test shots taken with my X-Pro1

8367002318_f39648780c_b.jpg

8365934911_6d9413ec51_b.jpg

Close Focus - which is extremely close!

8367001992_a7b0f0faaf_b.jpg

The 14mm has fast AF, and very little distortion - it feels solid and well made, with smooth AF, and a typical aperture ring just like the previous primes.

The additional manual focus scale is a nice feature.

Very happy with the quick test - I will be buying this lens as soon as available - Fuji reps suggested within the next 2 weeks.

Lenses

There was an additional case of X Series Lenses - with many future lenses represented - these lenses were not available to handle or use, so could have been pre-production dummies. I was told that Fuji plan 12 lens releases by the end of 2013.

8365935809_ccc7274849_b.jpg

Activity was high on the stand - lots of interest - and the X-20 had just won an award at CES so the Fuji team were very buoyant.

They confirmed that they had not seen the cameras at all until Monday - they were kept completely under wraps by Fuji Japan.

Good review, Chris. Lots to look forward to. I'm very interested in the X100S, maybe even the black one, but I'll wait until after the summer, when prices are lower.

Last edited:
brilliant review & awesome info cheers Chris, looks like you had a great day there :)

More lens shots for you

8366897267_3edba99df1_b.jpg

8366897145_01191bb9c4_b.jpg

8367964870_e27db7baeb_b.jpg

10 Lenses in the lens display - they were talking about 12 by end of 2013

I'll pick them up for you Beth ;)

Tried lots of other kit - will post pics and stuff later when I have moment

Off to see more toys now!

The mix of film cameras way back when met my photographic needs very well, and when digital came along, I had hoped I could acquire a similar mix. When the working day was over, I really did not want to continue lugging heavy equipment, but I also wanted to have access to a camera at all times. I carried a superb little compact rangefinder, the Konica S3. In the early days of digital, the high-end bridge cameras filled the role reasonably well, but were abandoned by the manufacturers around 2004. Finally when the X100 was announced, I saw my digital S3. It settled into that role with a high level of comfort. When I step out, it is in my pocket or pouch.

Though most of my work was with SLRs, medium and large format, when I was assigned to photograph potentially dangerous people, or simply needed a capable inconspicuous camera, I relied upon the Leica. Though I used them throughout my working life, I never much liked them. Then Contax came out with the G1 and G2. I planned on dumping my Leica stuff and going with the G2, but just then digital came along. I hoped for a digital G2, but Kyocera ceased making Contax and that was the end of it. The Epson was simply too retro, and the Leica M8 a very expensive disaster. The M9 solved the major problems of the M8, but the Kodak sensor was not competitive with contemporary cameras. Though full-frame, it had very poor high-ISO performance, and like the M8 was very expensive. When the X-Pro1 was announced, it was in every way the digital G2 I wanted. It has given me great satisfaction. The first three lenses offered were the classic photojournalist's kit, and that is how I shoot the camera.

In both cases, I bought cameras I had been waiting for, for over a dozen years. They happened to be made by Fuji. However, I see it is not a coincidence. I very much like what I am seeing in the direction Fuji is going. The D700 is not yet obsolete, but it spends a whole lot of time on the shelf. The X-Pro1 has become the main camera, with the X100 always available.

You're too late Ahmad, he's already programmed their coordinates into the transporter aboard his flying saucer. They'll have disappeared mysteriously (actually, given the context that should probably be, mysteriously disappeared) by morning!

Last edited:
Actually, I am pretty satisfied with what I now have. At some point, a X-Pro1 super-wide lens would be useful, but the 18mm (27mm equivalent) pretty much meets most of my needs. The 35mm (53mm equivalent) f/1.4 is amazingly sharp even wide open, and the 60mm f/2.4 is actually the lens I use the most—by a narrow margin. It also does a nice job of compressing perspective when shooting in-camera stitched panoramas. Totally contented with the X100 as it is, and no intention of going for the X100s.

The panos are a very nice bonus. My WideLuxe 140 was one of the best purchases ever, based upon return on investment. Again, when looking for a digital equivalent, the price of a Panoscan or RoundShot was way beyond my justification. The WideLuxe has a built in 28mm lens, and the 18mm gives a similar view. However, with the X100, I have a 35mm equivalent, and the X-Pro1 of course, has interchangeable lenses. Very pleased with the results.

Zoom.it

i want the 10-24mm and 55-200mm and a fix to the lightroom issue then i'll be happy enough to consider selling the canon. but for now I'll let the canon collect dust... a 100-400mm or a 500mm prime would be nice too, eventually.

Well, I just got a nice Email from one of the Fuji reps from the show - he enjoyed my write-up! :)

It was his 14mm lens I was using apparently :D

Chris did you see the new HS50 (I wonder what happened with the hs40)

It was on the Fuji stand, but I didn't get the chance to take a look - sorry :(

Back