Fun with an old enlarger lens.

Ralph Turner

Back in the early summer of 2020 I thought I'd have a go at seeing what my 50mm El Nikkor would be like adapted to my 6D. I fitted it via an eos -m42 adaptor, short m42 extension tube snd m42-m39 reducing ring. I estimated that the macro ratio at about 1:10-ish so, effectively in the ball park of the lens's optimum reproduction range. Focus was achieved by moving back and forth. To say I was happy with how it behaved would be an understatement. Here are a coupke of examples from our old garden in North Yorkshire. Hope you like them.

Attachments

• IMG_5142.jpeg
    IMG_5142.jpeg
    993.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5141.jpeg
    IMG_5141.jpeg
    995.5 KB · Views: 12
Sadly, when I tried using this lens for camera scanning purposes, it showed a limitation with the higher magnification involved though, when used at normal enlarging magnifications, it can produce outstanding results.

Interesting. I've often wondered how that sort of set up would work. A pity it's not so good for scanning but those flower close-ups are impressive.

Interesting. I've often wondered how that sort of set up would work. A pity it's not so good for scanning but those flower close-ups are impressive.
I've just re-read your comment, @Peter Roberts, and have realised I went off on a completely irrelevant tangent (those responses now disposed of - I'm such an old duffer sometimes🥴). Yes, I can thoroughly recommend this kind of set-up in the absence of a macro lens. Even then, IQ seems to rival that of a true macro at the appropriate magnifications. I even tried it recently with a three-element 75mm Componar. This also acquitted itself rather well. Worth a play if you can.

Speaking of that 75mm Componar, here are a few snaps taken with it on a Panasonic GX1 with a helicoid adaptor. Not quite in the same league as the Nikkor, but not bad.

Attachments

• IMG_5144.jpeg
    IMG_5144.jpeg
    903.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5145.jpeg
    IMG_5145.jpeg
    825.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5149.jpeg
    IMG_5149.jpeg
    914.6 KB · Views: 4
Back