Greetings From California

Hello everyone!

I just recently came across this forum and I have to admit I was really drawn in by the name, but then I started to browse around and see the kind of content you all post and I was enticed to sign up. I participate fairly regularly on a number of photography related forums, but they all seem to have progressively focused only on the gear and less about the actual work being created. That's not to say that I don't find discussing gear interesting (because I will do it at length, quite happily) but I want to be able to talk about more than that and share my passion for photography with like-minded people.

Anyways, a little about me:

I first got into photography just prior to going into high school, which was around 1998/1999, so my background was with film photography (which I still continue to this day). I spent all 4 years of high school in the darkroom and had a wonderful mentor that motivated me to look into going to photography school after graduation. I applied to and was accepted at the Brooks Institute of Photography and started there a week after graduating high school in 2004. It was there that I learned the true craft of photography as we worked with large format cameras, and this was a real eye opener for me, being forced to slow down (considerably) and take my time creating each image.

This level of patience has stayed with me, even now 10 years later. I love to learn new techniques whenever I can, but I also absolutely love to help teach people new to photography, it's just so fun to guide someone new to the art and watch them develop their own unique style.

I really look forward to engaging with you all and getting to know you.

Regards,

- Abram

welcome abram. i graduated hs in 2003, but didn't get interested in photography until college. from your education it sounds like you'll be a wonderful addition to the community. can't wait to see your work.

oh, and you shouldn't look at our fuji/dp2/film camera threads if you think we're not obsessed with gear...:oops: ;)

Welcome on board Abram - good to see another left coaster on here!

Glad the forum looked attractive at first and second passes

Looking forward to seeing your work and having you join in the banter :)

Hi Abram - I'm jealous of you already. What a great educational experience you've had so far! Very much looking forward to your contributions here. Greetings from Edinburgh!

Welcome from London.
Like you, I am more interested in the final image than the actual gear. The camera is like my car, it gets me from a to b and hopefully sometimes c. I haven't a clue what's under the bonnet:)
Looking forward to seeing your work Abram.

Thank you all for the kind welcome, I can already tell I'm going to like this group :).
I will start contributing some work very soon when I have a little more time to post. Though photography is my main passion (and source of income) I am making something of a lateral move in the creative world and I've gone back to school for Graphic Design which has been a very interesting and positive experience. I think I have about a year left.

Anyways, I am currently located in the South Orange County area of California, but who knows where I'll wind up after school!

Thank you all for the kind welcome, I can already tell I'm going to like this group :).
I will start contributing some work very soon when I have a little more time to post. Though photography is my main passion (and source of income) I am making something of a lateral move in the creative world and I've gone back to school for Graphic Design which has been a very interesting and positive experience. I think I have about a year left.

Anyways, I am currently located in the South Orange County area of California, but who knows where I'll wind up after school!
Huntington Beach here, Abram.

Hello and most welcome to you Abram, from this old goat of a cranky Norseman, residing horizontally in a small town in Telemark, Norway. Heard much good about Brooks Institute. Looking forward to your images. There's a wonderful bunch of people here.

Welcome from the right side (Boston) of the country Abram. Your high school experience sounds like mine...albeit 30+ years earlier. My art teacher and I built a darkroom over a few weekends after I talked to him about my interest in photography. I sometimes wish I went the way of pro...but it sure has been a fun hobby.

Back