Grizzly Bear in Montana

Ralph Thornton

I've never had the luck to get a close shot of a grizzly best until last week. This smallish grizzly bear was grazing in the fresh green grass under some aspens along the Swiftcurrent River just outside of Glacier National Park in Montana.

8762137796_60ee0fd33d_c.jpg

8762130014_49d9f8b852_c.jpg

I'm guessing 50-100 feet. I was using a my Canon 5D MKII with a Canon 70-200 f4 IS L at 200mm handheld.

I've never been that close to a large dangerous wild animal that wasn't behind bars, so I'm impressed you got such good shots of him/her - my hands would probably have been shaking with fear...and I can't focus properly when I'm running away

It takes wildlife photography to a whole new level when the subject is perfectly capable of killing you, brilliant shot and nerves of steel

Thanks. A few years ago I saw a female grizzly with two cubs in the backcountry of Glacier National Park. She acted fairly calm but one of her friggin cubs came up to my tent for a sniff. I did photograph that cub with the camera in one hand and a can of bear spray at the ready in the other hand. But for some reason none of the photos are sharp. ;)

I'd have been impressed if this was shot at 15mm Ralph! :D ;)

Very nice - lovely location as well - he looks very cuddly

Ralph, couldn't you get a close up? Am so disappointed, :D Not really! fantastic subject and shot, envy is not the word, over here we get sheep, cows 'n' oss's and if lucky a fox, but the thought of a Bear, a proper Bear, goes past belief...

Aw! I just want to give the bear some big shnuggle wuggles! Lol.
Fab shot Ralph!

Very nice Ralph! You must have been pretty excited to get the shot ...
The closest I have been to the sort of thing is safari in Kenya ... Which although pretty real as far as the whole wild animal thing goes ... You can't escape feeling like a tourist really

Back