Hello from Montana

Ralph Thornton

Just joined the forum. I live along the Rocky Mountain Front in northern Montana. I specialize in landscape photography and especially like combining photography with mountaineering and backpacking adventures. Most of my photographs are from Glacier National Park and the Bob Marshall Wilderness. It's not uncommon to see me in the wilderness with a huge pack carrying camera, three lenses, tripod, and gear and food for a week or more.

I've been interested in photography for a long time. Still have a big collection of 35mm slides that need scanning. Bought my first DSLR (Canon XTi/400D) in 2007 and added a Canon 5DMKII in 2009.

My favorite photos from 2010 include this one from Glacier National Park of Mirror Pond and Gunsight Pass.

mirrorpond.jpg

Its certainly sounds like your local area lends a lot to your hobbies!
The closest mountains I have to me are the Malvern hills ... Which although quite stunning in their own way, certainly don't have much in terms of size to what it looks like you have near you!
Welcome to the forum!

Its certainly sounds like your local area lends a lot to your hobbies!

Gill,
You are very correct there. So many seasons and so many things to do that one has to limit themselves somewhat. But it's all fun.

Welcome Ralph. love your shot there....... I started off with landscape photography then had this mad desire to paint with light and do wired things....... hahahaha!!! well.. my avatar gives it away. lol. welcome again Ralph.

welcome Ralph, i am really looking forward to seeing more of your images, The one you have posted makes snowdonia mountains were i live look like a mole hills. :)

Ralph - stunning capture - love the contrast of the yellows with the blue sky - beautiful

Got to hand it to you - hiking to capture your pictures - that's dedication for you.

I live on the prairies just east of the mountain front. It's about a 15 minute drive to get a view like this one:
02sunriseonteton.jpg

Sorry for the big black label but it was the easiest pic to locate.

This photo was made from just a short distance from my house:
04foolcrkfire.jpg

we really have had some very good landscape photographers join in the last few days!
very nice ... i love the pin of sun through the heavy cloud in the second shot!

Thanks Milan and Hamish,
The red/orange cloud with the sun trying to shine through is a huge smoke cloud produced by a rapidly expanding forest fire in the mountains. A real bummer because most of the rest of the summer my house was in that smoke cloud. The phot ws taken July 3, 2007 and the smoke didn't clear until well into September. That's like in some Montana summers.

Back