Critique Welcomed Half Poker Face

Brian Moore

Apologies in advance if I have posted this one before.

This is an image that is replete with flaws and yet that I find curiously appealing. I spotted this gentleman as I was walking through Farmer's Market in Los Angeles and I shot "from the hip." It's out of focus, has movement blur and of course I cut the top half of his head off. But I think it's the placid look on what's left of his face that is so appealing to me.

I'm wondering if anyone else finds it appealing?

Olympus XA3 with Right Aid 400 film (rebranded Fuji) that I converted to "redscale."

I too find it appealing. It has a Gerhard Richter feel about it. Partly the pallet, but also the almost deliberate feel of the blurring. Without knowing the back story, it looks so deliberate as if you have decided to obscure the face of some notorious character. He is saying something to you, maybe in jest, but with a veiled threat contained and that is clear by the faint smile on the face on the lady on the left. She knows you have been teased, or warned!

I too find it appealing. It has a Gerhard Richter feel about it. Partly the pallet, but also the almost deliberate feel of the blurring. Without knowing the back story, it looks so deliberate as if you have decided to obscure the face of some notorious character. He is saying something to you, maybe in jest, but with a veiled threat contained and that is clear by the faint smile on the face on the lady on the left. She knows you have been teased, or warned!
Thanks for the feedback, Pete. I'm glad it looks deliberate and I'm glad you find it appealing, too. I find the backstory you imagined appealing, too. (The true backstory is out the window now! :))

I have a similar one, Brian, in b&w, in profile, but my filing system is apparently not up to locating it on my hard drive.

Anyway, I do remember seeing your shot before, and it is interesting that it still has a hold on you, must be its dream-like quality. I like it very much.

I have a similar one, Brian, in b&w, in profile, but my filing system is apparently not up to locating it on my hard drive.

Anyway, I do remember seeing your shot before, and it is interesting that it still has a hold on you, must be its dream-like quality. I like it very much.
Thanks Rob. "Dream-like" is a good description Rob. Thank you.

Back