Critique Welcomed First of the Roll Portrait

Brian Moore

My filing system tells me I shot this image with my Olympus XA3 but my analysis of an apparent light leak signature in a different image off the same roll tells me I shot it with my Canon P. Plus the exposure would have been better if it had been the Oly XA3 since it is AE.

Regardless, it's a picture of my son-in-law that I shot a few years ago on a hike in hills above Applecross in the Western Highlands. The film was Retrochrome 320--which may have been re-packaged Kodak--that I got from the Film Photography Project. I processed the film in C41 chemicals because I don't shoot enough slide film to justify purchasing E6 chems, but mostly I like the color shift the cross-processing causes.

It's not a traditional portrait composition because I was just lazily aiming randomly as I advances through the first few frames of the new roll.

Very effective. You know if you had not told us the back story I would have invented some Vietnam War style tale of a young soldier thinking of his folks back home, smoke rising from the many small fire in the jungle behind after the the latest bombing raid.

Isn't photography wonderful.

Very effective. You know if you had not told us the back story I would have invented some Vietnam War style tale of a young soldier thinking of his folks back home, smoke rising from the many small fire in the jungle behind after the the latest bombing raid.

Isn't photography wonderful.
That's it Pete. Your fertile imagination inspires me. Henceforward your's is the backstory of this photo. (But I'm not giving you credit!) And yes, photography is wonderful. Thank Pete!

Wow, Pete, your comments have coloured my reading of the shot radically. The furrowed eyebrows show stress...a holiday with the father-in-law would do that!
Certainly a holiday with THIS father-in-law would cause such stress. But there was beer at the end of the hike.

Back