Hello Everybody

Tom Dunne

Hello Everybody.
Yesterday I came across this forum and proceeded to have a good old browse around the various boards and threads. I found it has a different atmosphere to all others I had visited and indeed participated in. I also visited the websites of many of your members and discovered work of a seriously high and original standard. So, here I am.
My name is Tom Dunne and have lived in London for the past 25 years. We did not intend to stay so long but arrival of three daughters and one mortgage saw to that.
My interest in photographic images began in the late sixties/early seventies when I discovered the early music of the rock band Yes and the artwork of Roger Dean. I find the arts of music and imaging cross over perfectly and always associate an image with a sound and visa versa.
I have just acquired a Fuji XE1 after selling my heavier Pentax DSLR stuff. So the Fuji and my two Holgas (35mm and Medium Format) and sometimes my phone are my only tools. Since I got the Fuji I have had the flu, so have been unable to get out with it yet.
I have no particular fondness for the technical side of things or for any one area of photography but, if possible, I just try to find original subject matter especially if it has a darkish humour or edge attached to it. I find Street photography to be the most difficult area I have made an attempt at.
I retired over a year ago and with my wife, am now in the process of returning to Ireland and this may well happen in the next month or two.
I am looking forward to joining in here and hope my contributions will be of interest.

Welcome to RPF Tom. I am certain you'll enjoy it here and can I just say I really enjoyed the slide show projects on your website (not spying on you it's just I was the one who validated your application and so I checked where you link took me! ;) ). Good look with move and I'm looking forward to seeing some images from the new

There's always one who has to start it off isn't there @Kev Pugh :rolleyes:

Welcome Tom, I'll let mine and Kev's madness welcome here (or scare you off I'm sure someone is wintering under their snout) :)

Always good to have new members here. Would love to see your work :)

I'm gonna bar a few people from the welcome forum I think ;)

Hi Tom, it's always very satisfying to read of people seeing and being motivated to join by the atmosphere we have nurtured here! Above anything else, this is the thing I think we as a collective are most proud of! I certainly am! :)

So, welcome! :)

Hi Tom. That was a good introduction, which does make a difference, and I'm sure that you'll fit right in here. I have an XE1 myself, but often shoot film as well. I'm in Edinburgh, but have Irish connections. Where will you be returning to?

Welcome Tom - another Yes and Roger Dean fan here, so you're in good company

There's an usually good blend of art and science on RPF, so you'll be able to indulge your arty side, and pick up some tech stuff as and when you want to.

Looking forward to seeing some photos, and best of luck with the re-location - that sounds like a real adventure!

Welcome to you Tom. I am a fairly new member here as well and I feel I have been taken into the fold. As you, I have been around on several forums as we all do, but this is a home with its shared warmness and love, for photography which I have never found anywhere else. Really looking forward to you getting well and sharing your pictures with us. All the best to you regarding your "move."

Thank you so much everybody for the very warm welcome and good wishes. I'm feeling really on the mend this morning.
Rob; just to answer your question. We are in the process of buying a house in Wexford, near the town of Gorey. I am originally from Portlaoise in the midlands and lived in Mayo for almost 10 years before coming to England. My wife is from Offaly.
Peter and Julian, thank you for your nice words on the website stuff.
I'll stick my first image here now, just as a sort of introduction. I have a fondness for it because it is one of the very first pictures I took with an SLR, a Minolta SRT 100 I think. It was probably taken possibly in the early seventies. It is Lanesboro Power Station in Co Longford.
Thanks again to everybody.

Attachments

• whatsleft.jpg
    whatsleft.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 14
Good shot, Tom. Pete hit it on the head with the "juxtaposition" comment. There is a clear connection between the foreground and background. Keep em coming!

Thank you so much everybody for the very warm welcome and good wishes. I'm feeling really on the mend this morning.
Rob; just to answer your question. We are in the process of buying a house in Wexford, near the town of Gorey. I am originally from Portlaoise in the midlands and lived in Mayo for almost 10 years before coming to England. My wife is from Offaly.

Thanks again to everybody.

Welcome Tom :D Wexford is a beautiful place indeed, i was there a couple of years ago for a mates birthday party :) have fun on the forum, it's a great place

Back