Hello from Harrow!

Nik Cannon

Hi,
Nik, new to the forum.
Chanced upon the site probably looking for info on the Yashica Electro 35 rangefinder
Like many, I've got the photography bug bad at the moment, and I'm amassing old manual lenses steadily as my thirst for knowledge grows! bored with modern point and shoot lenses, I've discovered the wonderful world of old classic glass and old cameras, dug my OM-1 out of retirement in the loft, fixed it's ASA dial and have been marveling at it's simplicity, size ( small!) big viewfinder, and cheap lenses, which have been migrated over to my Canon DSLR (via adapter mount) to give it a bit of retro fit soul!

I've been into photography for many years, but only since I bought a Canon 600D last year to shoot my sisters wedding have I really got into it with any real zeal ( or obsession as my wife would say!)
A small arsenal of manual lenses have arrived steadily
OM 50/1.8
OM 50/1.4 ( great Bokeh!)
OM 70-150/4 white nose
Mamiya Sekor 135/2.8 ( great Bokeh too!)
Vivitar 28/2.8
Sigma 35-85 macro

to provide contrast to the
modern lenses

Canon 50/1,8
Tamron 17-50/2.8 ( great everyday lens which has hardly been off my camera)

My point and shoot when a hulking great DSLR won't suffice is a Panny LX3, I'd like to upgrade it to a Fuji X100, then I'd be more confident of leaving my DSLR at home more often.

I've also picked up a cheap Zorki4 with 50/2 and 35/2.8 lenses, it might be a poor mans Leica, but those lenses are very nice indeed, the 50 gives nice Bokeh too, there's something about rangefinders that appeals more than SLR's, they just look better! I've also just ordered a Yashica Electro 35, which I'm really looking forward to using.
I enjoy all kinds of photography, a designer and illustrator by trade, I use my cameras to record day to day finds while I'm out and about, as well as for street and landscape/outdoor shooting, hi res, lo-fi, you name it, nothing is ruled out, I'll hopefully get some of my shots up on a Flickr account soon so you can have a look and give me some pointers!
Thanks,
Nik

Hi Nik

I do like my old glass too, looking forward to seeing some shots with some of your gear!

A name like Nik Cannon, you were surely born to be a photographer! ;)

Welcome aboard!

Epic name Nik, just epic!!
And welcome to the forum! :)
I too like my old glass and especially Zuiko. Also own a 50mm f/1.4. brilliant lens it is indeed. Wouldn't mind the 1.2 either :)
Anyway, great to have you on board, you'll love it here.

I've been tempted by a zuiko 50 1.4 quite a bit recently my self!

inocent until proven guilty please Rob ... No reason it wouldn't be his name

I did actually waver over the delete button on your account Nik... It really is quite a name for a photog. Thankfully I was convinced by your email. Don't worry about Rob's comment, he's sound as a pound, he's just looking out for this place. We are lucky enough to be a close community of nice folk who care about the integrity of this place...

- - - Updated - - -

Rob, feel free to have a go at me for speaking for you ;)

Welcome, Nik. You'll love this group. I am a Zuiko guy to. :)

Welcome Nik! I believe that you may have realized that you have stumbled into a fun AND Real Photographers Forum right from the start.

hello nik, love the name, please tell me your middle name is fuji. hope to see some of your work soon.

If you want to know, my middle name is Jerome ( my mum must have read 3 men in a boat I think!)

And just to show I've not made my name up

Nik Cannon on Behance

Some of my graphic work, for various people ( although this needs updating!)

I'm just in the middle of some freelance with a tight deadline, will get my shots uploaded soon as, I promise.

Nik

Welcome Nik!

Not really into vintage stuff myself..... MUCH! :D :D

This place is hazardous to the PayPal account - at least it has been for me

But the grin factor has never been better, and I've learned so much in the process

So did you get a Yashica than?

Hi Chris,
I'm waiting for one I bought of Rocky's Cameras for £35, supposed to be mint and fully working! just had a little splurge on some cheap glass which will alternate between my OM-1 and Canon 600D. As much as I like digital, and the immediacy of it, apart from the Fuji X100 XE-1 X-Pro and the Leica, they tend to look like Fisher Price toys for adults! I doubt I'll ever afford a Leica, and the glass that goes with it, so I think I'll pick up an X100 at some point in the future, but I like retro fitting my Canon with old glass...

How can it be, it starts an M! ;)

Sorry Nik, we'll get bored with this in a year or two! ;)

thanks for ruining it for me pete. [ner]

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Chris,
I'm waiting for one I bought of Rocky's Cameras for £35, supposed to be mint and fully working! just had a little splurge on some cheap glass which will alternate between my OM-1 and Canon 600D. As much as I like digital, and the immediacy of it, apart from the Fuji X100 XE-1 X-Pro and the Leica, they tend to look like Fisher Price toys for adults! I doubt I'll ever afford a Leica, and the glass that goes with it, so I think I'll pick up an X100 at some point in the future, but I like retro fitting my Canon with old glass...

if you're interested in fujis grab an x-pro 1 and fit it with an adapter and some old glass. i've got a voigtlander 12mm that's served me well..

thanks for ruining it for me pete. [ner]

- - - Updated - - -

if you're interested in fujis grab an x-pro 1 and fit it with an adapter and some old glass. i've got a voigtlander 12mm that's served me well..

Hmmm, just had a quick google, and the X-pro body can be bought for under £800 in some places, if I do get one, I'm more inclined to get fast glass, and I've just seen that you can use OM glass on the X-pro via an adapter.... I'd better get saving!

Back