Hi Guys, The Animals & Wildlife Forum

Rob M. Haynes

Upper East Side Studios (Trade Member)
It`s amazing that everyone I speak to has a favourite subject when it comes to animals & Wildlife Photography, Whether your`e happy to sit for hours watching for wild Owls and birds of prey in the wilderness or watching your dog and his/her adventures on the daily walk there is something for everyone and there are picture opportunities everywhere..

So, We want to see your pictures, if you capture your image in the wild that`s great and all the more special, if you get your pictures in a sanctuary or captive subject in a zoo that`s Fine, just state where it was taken, there are no rules, we just want you to show us your best shots and we can all enjoy and Learn from each other.

You don`t need the latest gear, the biggest lens, and the most expensive kit, The forum is aimed at beginners to old hands, you just need good fieldcraft, ie` Zoom with your Feet` ! and leave wild places as you find them, Wild, Oh, and you will need a huge amount of.. Patience, Patience and a huge passion for capturing images of animals and Birds in the wild.

We encourage critique from all members and visitors, just keep it clean guys..! constructive critique is good and helpful to all, We all had to start somewhere. If anyone would like help or advice on any part of Wildlife Photography then post it or just ask and we`ll endeavor to help.

So, come on what are you waiting for. Lets see those images.!!

You don`t need the latest gear, the biggest lens, and the most expensive kit,

I Agree :)

Here are some of my old photos from 2002, with a low cost camera.

A large plant pot saucer used as a water dish in the garden, this has been in the same place in the garden for about 10 years now, all the local wildlife visits to drink and bathe:

DSCN2661.jpg

-

Very tame hedgehog having a drink:

DSCN2628.jpg

-
DSCN2637.jpg

-

The camera was a 3.3 mega pixel Nikon Coolpix 995, these days most people would not even consider using such a low pixel count camera.

Food, water and patience are all that are needed, not always the latest 20 megapixel megabucks camera.

Last edited:
Excellent Mark,that`s exactly what I meant, sometimes it is being there that matters, Cameras don`t take pictures, People do..
Keep em coming...
Rgds
Rob

Megapixels are highly over-rated. They have been an easy way to sell cameras - more pixels = better. Finally people are coming to realize that image quality depends upon more than a load of pixels. A friend had a 24×36 inch print made from one of my Coolpix 990 images and it looked amazingly good. A shoot or two with a D3 or D700 is a life-changing experience, even though they "only" have 12MP.

Agreed, it's the size of the Pixels not the amount... As I understand it in simple terms (correct me if I'm wrong)
Bigger pixels (I think try are called photosites) can gather more light, more light gathered required less charge through the sensor - less charge = less grain.
That in combination with nikons aproach to noise reduction concentrating on the chroma noise is what makes the d3 and d700 so good!
I haven't it my hands on a d3s yet, but that is supposed to be something else!... Who'd have a canon eh ;)

It has been said that Canon is the best camera that engineers can make, while Nikon is the best camera that artists can use. Certainly both companies supply a rich mix of compact cameras, entry-level, consumer-grade, and state-of-the-art dSLR bodies and lenses.

For me, it is as if Mr. Nikon was able to plumb the part of my soul where photography dwells and order his minions to create the ideal camera of the time to meet needs that may not have even been realized. Last night was beautiful and clear, with an ideal temperature of 20°C. I was invited to spend the evening in the back yard of a family, playing with pets and having a cook-out over a fire-pit. Between 8:00 pm and midnight I chronicled the evening, shooting mostly with zooms stopped down to their sweet spots, no matter the light. Upon arriving home, I posted four to my Facebook page, and from the comments and "likes" many people viewed them overnight. Superb high-ISO performance, and an agreeable camera let me catch the feeling of a wonderful evening with friends and critter friends without ever getting in the way. In days to come, I will be posting more to the albums, but for anyone who is on Facebook, the initial four are at http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/larry.bolch

Interestingly, I brought my f/1.8 50mm lens and did not use it much. The heavy lifting went to the 24-120mm primarily with the 70-300mm being used almost as a macro, to kill perspective in some flower shots - lovely garden. Still it was mostly about sweet cats, dogs and folks and the harvest of images was most bountiful.

Back