Hi

Hello everyone. I'm here as part of my journey deciding what camera to go with next. I started out with Nikon FE, then 801s. I have a few Nikon lenses 50 1.8, 28 2.0, 28 - 85 3.5-4.5, Sigma 75 - 300 APO and Tamron 70 - 210 "two-touch", nothing exotic and just 2 AF lenses (all Nikon fit).

I then ventured into DLSRs with an Olympus E410, in addition to the Olly kit lenses I use my Nikons (manually of course). My next camera is probably something like a Nikon D5000 or F7000 but I'm at an early stage of getting my eye in, the range is a bit daunting to understand.

As for the type of photos I like to take, landscape, close ups of anything that's interesting or becomes interesting close up. Of course family and holiday too. Also pics too support articles I write for an internet mag - not a photo mag - I'm very much an amateur.

Last edited:
Hi Clive ... Welcome to the forum buddy!

Let us know if you need any help with the camera choices ... With those old lenses you have a d7000 would be a lot more suitable as I'm pretty certain it allows use of the aperture ring on the lens with a little bit of setting it up ... With anything lower in the range the manual lenses are a pain to use

What do you write article for then?

Hi Hamish,

I write for enjoythemusic.com, I'm an escapee from AoS :)

When I decided on the Olly rather than a D40 part of my choice was down to the D40 not being any more use with my ancient lenses than the Olly. Working out which lenses could to anything with which body was a pain.

I will need more modern lenses when I buy my new camera body but I feel it's sensible to try to re-use the old lenses too. I suppose it's a hangover from the useless 801s sitting there and being unsaleable, I want some return from my old kit. At least I can handle the FE and enjoy the quality even if I don't take any pics with it.

Thanks for the offer of assistance!

Hi Clive,

Welcome aboard. I too started with an FE. In fact I still occasionally use it (actually I have 2) and they still feel wonderfully natural to me - just love matched needle metering! I use a lot of older glass on my Nikon DSLR's as well as new and still love the look some of them produce so I think the suggestion of Hamish sounds wise.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Hi Clive,

Welcome to the forums, cant help you with lenses and such I just about know which end is which!

Hi & welcome to this fab little place on the net, there a good few members who support Nikon, i am sure they will help you out in every way possible.

If you have any question feel free to fire away, even more importantly we would all love to see some of your photos.

Darren

Welcome Clive! :)

Hi Hamish,

I write for enjoythemusic.com, I'm an escapee from AoS :)

at this rate ill have to start paying off Marco for people who end up here through his site ... not that it looks like he needs the moolar with that house hes looking at ... BLIMEY!
i have stumbled across the site a few times ... there's a lot there eh?!?

When I decided on the Olly rather than a D40 part of my choice was down to the D40 not being any more use with my ancient lenses than the Olly. Working out which lenses could to anything with which body was a pain.

and the olympus cameras do have there attractions .. small size, extra gains in the telephoto department etc etc

I will need more modern lenses when I buy my new camera body but I feel it's sensible to try to re-use the old lenses too. I suppose it's a hangover from the useless 801s sitting there and being unsaleable, I want some return from my old kit. At least I can handle the FE and enjoy the quality even if I don't take any pics with it.

i think you would like the d7000, it manages to have a professional feel to it without the weight or complexity of the actual "pro" bodies ... id guess you would get a lot more out of it than a d40 ... anyway ... like i said when the time comes and you want more comparative comment between the nikon range im very confident i could help

Thanks for the offer of assistance!

no worries, tis what this place is here for ... im useless at giving hifi related advice so im giving back to the "community" through this place ;)

hey there buddy,

what music you into?

Thanks guys for your kind welcome. Hamish, you have me drooling over the D7000 already. Does the price drop a little a few months after introduction, once the inital demand is satisfied?

What music do I like? Fairly broad really, main real passion is becoming Jazz by the likes of Sonny Rollins, Brubeck, Cannonball Adderley, Thelonius Monk, Stan Getz. Then there's Eric Clapton, Cream, Led Zed, Pink Floyd, Kate Bush, Joanna Newsom, Alison Krauss, Beethoven, Mozart etc etc...not really into Opera.

As for a few pics, well I'm really ashamed to put any up on a photo forum but here are a some I've used for a informal recent hi-fi review, I had about 20 mins to do these yesterday. I didn't move the deck from my cellar to a place with loads of natural light for all sorts of reasons so I used halogens and played with the WB. The first pic was with the kit lens from my E-410. The rest are using my Nikon 50mm 1.8 AIS lens in AP mode. The 2nd pic doesn't have the right WB, If I'd used RAW I could have played with it more. What a different the prime lens makes!

One question springs to mind, my Olly is a 2:1 crop, what happens to the f-stops, are these 2:1 also?

P1153915.jpg

1007230011ed.jpg

P1153956.jpg

P1153932.jpg

P1153945.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Clive ...
The D7000 will drop in price, I'm not sure how soon though ... Just keep an eye out....

Nice turn table.. I was just reading the first bit of your review ... I really wanted to eventually get a terminator tonearm for my techie ... But the techie had to go ... I didn't know he made tables too!

I'm not sure about aperture and the exact amount it changes depending on the size of the sensor, but it change ... Larger format cameras display a more narrow dof at apertures than a 35 mm camera ... This is why compacts with tiny sensors have broad DOF even at small apertures ... It's because of the focal lengths. 75mm on medium format is the same as 50mm on a 35mm camera which is the same as 25mm on your Olympus ... 75mm gives a narrower dof than 25mm etc

... Erm... I think I have explained the correctly anyway :)

Welcome Clive :)

Hi Clive ...
The D7000 will drop in price, I'm not sure how soon though ... Just keep an eye out....

Nice turn table.. I was just reading the first bit of your review ... I really wanted to eventually get a terminator tonearm for my techie ... But the techie had to go ... I didn't know he made tables too!

I'm not sure about aperture and the exact amount it changes depending on the size of the sensor, but it change ... Larger format cameras display a more narrow dof at apertures than a 35 mm camera ... This is why compacts with tiny sensors have broad DOF even at small apertures ... It's because of the focal lengths. 75mm on medium format is the same as 50mm on a 35mm camera which is the same as 25mm on your Olympus ... 75mm gives a narrower dof than 25mm etc

... Erm... I think I have explained the correctly anyway :)

theres my brain doing that whoopsie agian ...how odd... still, think i have got a better grasp of that lot now

Back