Immaculate Conception Catholic Church - Cottonwood AZ

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Took this shot on the way home to California on Sunday morning - sun was just up, it was -10 C outside, and the Mingus Mountains in the background had a covering of snow on them from earlier in the week.

The new church has a vintage 'mission' look, and I had been waiting for some decent lighting to take a shot or two of it.

28-70 lens - cropped image to 16:9 ratio

web.jpg

Wow Chris!! This is an A.M.A.Z.I.N.G shot!!! Really well balanced and pretty lucky to get the light on the scene (and be there to snap it) great stuff!! :)

Thanks Dan - I'd actually driven pat the church several times that week, and had been looking at where the sun angles were, and which angles would allow me to have the mountains as background.

So there was some planning and then a chunk of luck involved - the snow was really a bonus :)

you make me sick.................!!

thats a powerful image and i like it, look at that back drop.......lol awesome........is the church as remote as it looks.......??

you make me sick.................!!

thats a powerful image and i like it, look at that back drop.......lol awesome........is the church as remote as it looks.......??

Yep, for some reason they built it outside of town - probably cheap land!

i need to visit you part of the world chris, and you photos aint helping my need haha.

Daz

I would be interested to see the colour version of this. I feel that this doesn't really work well in B&W it maybe much better suited to colour. I would imagine that the church is whitewashed and so make a good contrast up against the mountains coupled with your desire to shoot it in the correct light I think would be much nicer.

Are you having a Silver FX day today Pete? I like both but not sure which one more. IMHO I would have cropped a bit off the LHS so the white area of the building trailed off the edge of the shot. This would anchor the building in the image although the effect Pete done also does to some degree but at the expense of the effect of the original image.

I'll have a fiddle over the weekend - and when I'm done with that, I'll try some of the ideas on the photo! LMAO!

Back