Is Video the future of still photography?

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Canon have just done a write-up on Abraham Joffe, as he captures pro quality stills from 4K video, with the EOS-1D C.

Abraham-Joffe-in-Namibia.jpg

Australian videographer Abraham Joffe has managed to split photographic opinion down the middle yet again with the realisation of a long-promised technology – the ability to capture stills from video that are of good enough quality to compete with conventionally shot photographs.

The concept is simple enough - the new 4K cameras produce image frames of a quality of 4096x2160, comparable to a digital stills camera, so why not just shoot video and pick the best frame(s) later as stills.

You get 24 fps to choose from, so that 'moment' is selectable to a high degree.

Canon Professional Network - Abraham Joffe captures stills from 4K video with the EOS-1D C

“This should excite photographers: their skills sets are about creating beautiful images that work, and I think motion photographs will take more photographic skill than video skill,” he reveals. “Video is about multiple shots that work together to tell a story; motion photos have sound and camera movement stripped away and you are coming down to one moment in one frame that happens to be moving. That is very exciting for me.”

No doubt it's going to become a big part of future imaging - but right now the price barrier will prevent most from accessing the technology.

But as we know - prices comes down...

I can definitely see the advantage for the areas shown, it'll remove the need to "capture the moment"

Chris this is an interesting one. I saw this a while ago via CPS, not that I am a member but I do receive their mail. Your own signature quote is quite apt here, with the capture of the time element becoming much easier and having for more choices of what time and what moment you choose to use. 10:1 I think was quoted in the video on the options of having so many frames to choose from.
As mentioned I am sure Raw will be possible at sometime, which will definitely change the whole concept of capturing the moment, as it is seen now. I do though believe as is , the photographer will always be the biggest component to the outcome, This may well help the best photographers to expand their creativity, in a positive way, lets hope so. It is quite a camera and yes would not mind one for myself as I dream.

Who would want to sit through a one hour video at 24 frames per second, just to find 'the moment'? As photographers, we spend too much time at the computer as it is. Not for me, but I can imagine some going ape over it. I can't help pondering over one of my best two or three shots being taken with a plastic, 20 quid Holga...

Back