Ist Roll: Cinestill BWxx in Hexar

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
I love the look of Woody Allen's Manhattan film, and when I read that the CineStill BWxx film is of similar stock, I just had to give it a try. In many ways, Edinburgh is unlike Manhattan, and things didn't quite come out as I had hoped. First of all I made a big mistake (not for the first time) of thinking the film was ISO 320 - I don't know where I got that information, but the box clearly states 250. Ah well..no great harm done. Here are a few of the least worst shots.

Film developed by Ilford, and scanned by me at 4800. Some dust removed in Elements11, with one or two very minor adjustments for exposure in LR6.

1. The Enlightened One

Buddha.jpg

2. Edinburgh Castle from the roof of the National Museum of Scotland

castle.jpg

3. Skull in glass case - National Museum of Scotland

skull.jpg

4. View from the roof of the National Museum of Scotland

view.jpg

5. Wall along the Water of Leith

wall.jpg

6. Further along the Water of Leith

wol1.jpg

7. Abstract of architecture at the National Museum of Scotland

abstract1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure I can see anything distinctively Cinestill (as you can with the colour emulsions), but I like the shots very much anyway. I especially like the skull (and that does seem to have a sort of look to it too) and the view from the roof. What are your feelings about it, Rob?

Thanks, Pete. I don't think it is worth the extra expense over XP2 or Delta 400, considering, as you say, it has no stand-out qualities of its own. I doubt I will buy it again. Always worth experimenting, though. I do like their colour emulations.

'View from the roof' shot - awesome Rob

Cheers, Beth. I actually debated with myself over sharing that one, as I think it the most boring. Haha. But every camera and lens review has to have a wall in it for some reason, so why not film as well. I was attracted to it by the rather strange noises a pigeon was making - you can see its head peeking out of one of the slots in the wall. This is why upload a few shots at a time - someone will like something!

That is an interesting set. All different and all work well. I do like the wall picture too; the gnarled branch, dense foliage and wall texture gives a real sense of age to it.

Back