Just discovered Erik Johansson....

I've never heard of him, so thanks for bringing him to my attention.
His work is very accomplished, but not really my kind of thing, photographically speaking. This leaves me very confused though, because he has obviously been very strongly influenced by the work of Escher, one of my favourite artists.

I've never heard of him, so thanks for bringing him to my attention.
His work is very accomplished, but not really my kind of thing, photographically speaking. This leaves me very confused though, because he has obviously been very strongly influenced by the work of Escher, one of my favourite artists.
Thank you Chris! I was almost sure it wouldn't just be me who thought of Escher...

Definitely not everyone's cup of tea (or even coffee)

I think for me, the difference to Escher is that Johansson somehow feels more... how shall I put it... almost dreamlike? Not the right word - maybe a touch of fantasy?

Where as Escher (from what I'm thinking of at the moment) is more almost dry and true to life, except...

I give up. 😆 Trying to put my feelings into words that is. Maybe that's why I'm a photographer not a writer!

I like things that make one think... this is definitely one of those if nothing else.

Is anyone here familiar with Erik Johansson? Just discovered his website https://www.erikjo.com/work.
Quite amazing... speechless really...

Some of his images feel a little too contrived to me, but others just work!

Edit 10 min later - the behind the scenes page is fascinating too.
I'd never heard of him. Thanks for posting the link, Stevenson. For me I'm not sure Escher is the best comparison. (Although there is at least one image on Johansson's site that is distinctly Escher-esque.) Johansson seems more a surrealist in the Dali or Magritte vein.

Is anyone here familiar with Erik Johansson? Just discovered his website https://www.erikjo.com/work.
Quite amazing... speechless really...

Some of his images feel a little too contrived to me, but others just work!

Edit 10 min later - the behind the scenes page is fascinating too.
Strange, funny and very Swedish as in weird. 😊 As a Norwegian, we always say, " the importance is not to win in any competition, but to beat the Swedes." 😂

Ha! I don't know enough about ANY part of Scandinavia... but sounds interesting!
Asking me would not help much. I am so biased😂 But we speak the same language in Sweden, Norway and Denmark. There are only dialect differences I'd say and we all understand each other and stand by each other. There are 10 million inhabitants approximately in Sweden, approx 5 in Denmark and in Norway.

Thanks, Stevenson. I hadn't seen his work before. Impressively done and some work very well whereas others seem either too much or a bit repetitive in theme (which given the work involved surprises me). Someone else who uses this blending of reality to good effect is Natalie Aniela Lennard (née Dybisz):

Back