Kanarra Canyon, Utah, USA

What a fantastic location and some truly fabulous shots - you liked those ladders didn't you?! ;) And some of the lighting (well most of it in fact) was magical. Now though, what was in those caves?

They call them Slot Canyons as they are so narrow. In a few places it may form a tunnel but they are narrow and deep enough to let little light in. There are only a couple hours mid-day when much light filters down into them but it really warms up the deep red/orange walls. This place is a little more challenging as you are setting your tripod up in running water. You will get a little vibration that take the edge off of the sharpness. I shoot around 1600 ISO to try to get the speed up enough to minimize the vibration blur. Even 10 to 15 minutes can change the light enough to make big differences. You could shoot the same shot a dozen times in a couple hours and be amazed at how different each shot would look.

HDR can be helpful but it's not a total fix. If you bracket too wide the slower shot will be more blurry. I often shot bracketed shots but don't use HDR often. I'm very careful to make sure the shot is framed well so I don't blow out the highlights too badly.

Back