Kilve Rain Storm

Lesley Jones

Otherwise know as Zooey
Oh... the story behind this! I was due to take an FIV+ cat all the way from Kent to a sanctuary in Somerset. I had done it the year before, but made the round trip in one day. This time my lovely husband suggested I stay the night and do some photography. In the end, the cat was "catnapped" by the neighbours of the foster home. As I had paid for a B&B, I went anyway, but left very late because one of our cats was suddenly very poorly. (Purdy has survived for over six years with a brain tumour - last year she came down with pneumonia. We didn't know about the pneumonia at the time, but I asked our local vet to keep her in on antibiotics and a drip).

I arrived at the B&B and it started raining as I left for the beach. It rained on and off until sunset and it was interesting to watch the rain approaching over the water. I had actually been having a picnic at this bench and calling my husband about Purdy, when I suddenly realised what the clouds were doing. I ended the call and picked up the cable release just in time :)

KilveRainStorm.jpg

Gap lighting between the clouds and the sea - and a good storm to boot - wonderful

Its a very moody yet lovely image Lesley. (I can imagine your hubby on the other end of the line when you noticed the photo op: "Hello,...Hello,...Are you there?" ;))

Is it HDR?

No - not HDR Brian. The histogram was fine with one exposure. I probably used the graduated ND filter in Color Efex to put the tones back more as I thought I saw them. The really frustrating thing about the beach was it was just too dangerous to explore. The rocks are shale (?) and contain oil. I literally crawled round for an hour, but I was too scared to move very far. In the end I gave up and waited by the bench until the sun set. The locals were playing cricket just behind me, which seemed rather odd :)

The locals were playing cricket just behind me, which seemed rather odd
Englishmen!

Love that light on the horizon, by the way.

(Sorry I asked about the HDR--didn't mean anything by that.)

Back