Kodak Wratten CC10B

In another thread, Peter was asking about using lighting gels (vs filter gels) in the 3" filter slot in a Mamiya hood (http://www.realphotographersforum.com/other-ancillaries/7194-gelatine-nd-filters.html). By coincidence I was today given a case containing a set of old MPP 5x4 glass plate holders from the old technical imaging department of a company I used to work for. In amongst them were a few glass and gel filters including the one below. This is a (flexible) gel filter used for fine colour (blue) correction with film. I have a set of 100mm Lee correction filters that I still sometimes use although in most instances we can now measure the colour temperature and use that in the processing stage of a digital file (or use a control patch and correct from that). But I thought this might be interesting to see especially as the packaging was in such nice condition (it probably dates from the late 70s). The came in classic Kodak yellow envelopes (black inside) inside a card support and a paper cover (with filter diameter templates on the reverse in case you wanted to cut them to a specific size) and a tissue 'fold'.

filter-13.jpg

To give an idea of the type of colour cast they were intended to correct, I have reversed their correction using the colour temperature 'picker' in LR. Without such a filter whites would have a yellow cast as shown below.

filter-1.jpg

I never saw this the first time round, Pete. I don't know why.

Interesting. I never knew about gelatine filters. I can see clearly the influence they can have in the tint of the white pages. Can you tell me why they have to be flexible, and what advantage that gives them?

Back