Critique Welcomed La Jolla

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Taken early on Sunday morning in La Jolla, CA with the Fuji G617 and Velvia 50 - I revisited this cove with the breakwater protecting the Children's Pool (Now occupied by pregnant seals)

12061997534_16eecf0c08_h.jpg

Breakwater - La Jolla

12063137085_f8366ae685_h.jpg

Daybreak at Children's Pool - La Jolla

I'm getting the hang of my exposures now - adding around half a stop for reciprocity failure seems to have really helped the dynamic range and tonality.

I'm using the super accurate timer of one one thousand, two one thousand etc :D

Wow...you do get ice out there. ;)
Love the way the water came out Chris. And you are really going old school with the timing technology.

Beautiful. Love the ghost figure. Next time you are there, point your camera behind you - one of my aunties has a condo there :)
Thanks Rob - the ghost lady insisted on getting past me and into the shot, so I'm glad her contribution was positive!

No2 is a beauty!
Thanks Dave - I think there's another shot, from the end of the breakwater - just the ocean and shore with the breaking waves - it's on my list

excellent work on both of them. love the first.
Thanks Beth

Wow...you do get ice out there. ;)
Love the way the water came out Chris. And you are really going old school with the timing technology.
Thanks Glenn, it was a bit chilly, I had to put a sweatshirt on!

Fabulous Chris. Love the composition of the first and the water. And the hint of spray on the shore in the second.
Thanks Pete - there was quite a swell coming onshore from Hawaii, so the ocean had some greta movement to it with the long exposures, and was also breaking pretty well over the end of the breakwater and onto the rocks.

Chris,...I have one of those one one thousand, two one thousand timers also. (Mine must be metric or something, though, because it counts out one thousand one, one thousand two style. ;)) Not sure mine is as accurate as yours, nor is it put to such good use ever. Excellent stuff you've got here. Both are wonderful images. I like the figure in the second one, along with the bit of color in the sky.

Thanks Brian - I was worried that mine was a UK model timer, being used out of region, so might not keep good time on the West coast - but adding a triple venti latte seems to have matched the local time perfectly ;)

Back