Lancaster Music Festival

Chris Bennett

I heard that the organisers were looking for volunteers to take photos for the annual festival, so I turned out to a meeting in a pub, late one afternoon a fortnight ago. The agenda for the meeting was wider than just photography, but there was basically a head count and the five of us snappers present were pronounced to be 'in'.

The festival takes place over an extended weekend, building up from perhaps a couple of dozen gigs on the Thursday, winding up to a frenzy of activity over the Saturday and Sunday, and then a quiet, but still active Monday. The slogan on the back of the team T-shirts was 'Take Monday Off!'

My wife and I went to the launch party on the Wednesday and I took a camera to snap off a few shots of the entertainment.

Sold to the Sky 4.JPG
Sold to the Sky

I took a camera with an old manual focus lens and, in those two hours, I learnt a lot that I came to rely upon over the weekend!

On Thursday night, it was bucketing down with rain, but we got to three gigs and turned up for two where the acts were absent because of the weather and bad delays on the motorway.

Interlude Church Street Stutters.JPG
Interlude - Church Street Stutters

Atomic Brass walkabout.JPG Atomic Brass

Manta Rays.JPG
Manta Rays

This thread is one of instalments - check back for the next one!

Last edited:
I'm not sure what to make of "Interlude-Church Street Stutters" but the rest are excellent. I agree with Pete about the Atomic Brass but the girl with the stand up bass is also great. A fine set overall!

Thanks a lot. It was my first attempt at this sort of thing and I enjoyed it immensely. The bigger venue gigs were great as there was a pit where I was free to run around unhindered. As an audience member, I prefer really small venues, but with a camera, it's full of problems.

Back