Critique Welcomed Lava Dyke and Ship Rock

Brian Moore

This is on Navajo land in northwest New Mexico.

Ship Rock is sacred to the Navajo. And no wonder. It is majestic! (The wide angle lens of my Sigma DP1 Merrill --28mm equivalent--doesn't really do it justice in this photo.) It projects upward some 1600 feet from the desert floor.

The dyke is a natural geologic feature borne of the volcanic processes that created the rock. There are two or three such dykes radiating from Ship Rock.

Looking back through my photos of New Mexico I can't help but think the light is special there. (And with regard to the light the DP1 Merrill does do it justice in my opinion.)

That's great, Brian. I have spent a fair bit of time in all of the south western states of the U.S. (...well in comparison to the average Englishman), but have never quite reached NM. This makes me want to go there even more.

That's great, Brian. I have spent a fair bit of time in all of the south western states of the U.S. (...well in comparison to the average Englishman), but have never quite reached NM. This makes me want to go there even more.
Thanks Chris. Much appreciated. (I want to go back there myself now, too.)

Bright and bold Brian, that fade on the sky is something else. And thanks for the mini natural history lesson, adds to the viewing experience.

Back