Lightroom vs Photoshop for photographers

Dave Moss

Just back from the doctors with Becky and was reading an interesting article in one of the Sunday magazines they had lying around with the question is Lightroom or Photoshop better for Photographers and I thought it might make an interesting discussion here! My own view is I prefer Lightroom when I'm processing the shots as I think its easier done there than Photoshop. The magazines concensus seemed to be similar that when your working with a photograph Lightroom is easier and better for working with the image then if you need to alter it then move it to Photoshop after. Wondered what every body else thinks?

Mainly I start in LR. I use it as a catalogue for projects and will sort and do basic edits, crops etc in it. Sometimes that is all. However, in most cases I will either edit in one of the Nik filters from LR or, more commonly, use Edit in PS to move the image there (as a copy with LF edits), apply effects, layers, cloning. border and then save it back to LR. I will then apply any gradients I want to use and maybe tweak the curves before doing output sharpening in Nik Sharpener. If I want a JPEG for upload I will do it from LR but I always print from PS. I used to always start in Bridge but I find LR more convenient as you can quickly apply and synchonise adjustments there (I know this can be done in Camera Raw from Bridge but LR is a slicker front end).

When it comes to my main catalogue of images I don't use LR. It contains about 40,000 images and I use Media Pro from PhaseOne. When I shoot using one of the of the PhaseOne backs I use CaptureOne as the primary interface and then open the output from there in PS. Sometimes I will then import the final versions into LR but usually they are just indexed in Media Pro.

I miss layers in LR and decent borders and, although I can get close to what I'm after in LR, I find it quicker and more straight forward to follow the approach above. However, for work images where I may just want to make a minor adjustment to the white balance and exposure, remove a sensor spot and crop and sharpen, I would use LF only. For creative stuff I find I often want a tiny bit more control.

PS can do so much more than LR but it is not designed to review loads of images and make quick basic adjustments as you go. I tend to view my photos in LR and the ones I feel I can work on more I edit in PS through LR's "Edit In" mode. This creates a copy and opens it in PS. Once saved in PS you can view the newly changed image in LR. The issue with PS is the learning curve, if you really want to use it you have to sit down and do some really hard thinking. Luckily there are loads of tutorials on the web these days.

I couldn't live with an editor that didn't have layer support, its something I use constantly.
My copy of PS is v7, somewhat elderly thse days but it does the job. I downloaded PS Elements 9 a while back and found it to be about the same level of functionality. While I wouldn't say no to a later version of PS, I don't know that I'd make a huge use of the extra bells and whistles in the newer versions.

I currently use Xnview (which is freeware) for image organizing and I can launch an image into PS from there. Apart from being free it supports most image formats including Olympus Raw.

Big LR user jumped on it when it came out was glad to leave PS - LR is a non destructive RAW workflow which I love - I wish it had better integration in to PS so you could jump back & forth retaining changes - eventually I suppose.

Yes a slightly more slick interchange would be nice. As I'm sure you do, I always go to Edit in PS (with LR changes) from LR and then do layer stuff etc. I do not flatten / merge them when I save though so at least I can then re-open that file later (from bridge or the like - view in Finder / Explorer) and make changes to the layers etc. again and then drag the file into LR.

Yeah it is clunky it would probably take a complete rewrite of LR & PS to achieve it but I think it needs to be done & it would be great if you could export out of whatever your in with parameters to suit web or print as saved favourites along with EPS for dropping in to Indesign or Targas with Z channels for the video market, maybe even 3D intergration - now that would be cool!

Must admit to not being a LR user, simple workflow for me through CR into PS all viewed through Bridge. I always duplicate the first layer then work up and like you Pete never flatten so I can revisit at a later date or when my mood has changed :)

Love PS - been with it from the 2nd release.

However - it's never been designed as a photographers tool IMHO - it's an image processing application which can be used on photos.

Clearly they have modified it as it's developed, but the UI and access to photographer-friendly controls has always been an issue for people getting started in PS.

Now we have pluggins like Topaz, I have the photographer's UI I want, and the power of PS to back it up - so I'll stay with PS as this symbiosis develops.

i kinda miss PS a little bit , there was a couple of elements i used regularly but overall i'm more than happy with Aperture 3

I find i can do almost everything i want to in lightroom
I too have been with it since v1
I only go to photoshop for different sharpening methods and some techniques that require the odd layer, but thats pretty rare!

Its the work flow of lightroom i like... it is currently working its way through 2003 image exports for my stop motion vid, it would be a much more long winded process to do the same in photoshop

I only own LR and love it. But have been meaning to get a copy of PS and learn about it. I do like LR because it's akin to what I used to do in the darkroom with film, and I can easily relate to it that way. But it also has the same limitations. But I would like to take advantage of more advanced options for layers and burning and dodging in my work that PS can provide. For example, burning and dodging selected areas without any overlap into other zones, such as darkening a sky... LR will only do that with a brush or a straight line, like a graduated filter. But neither is precise enough when the you have a lot of complicated angles to deal with.

Back