Living on the Balcony

Incredible and to a certain extent humerous in its form. Very good Detlef. Now tell me your experience with the Zeiss 35/2,8 on the 7. It looks very good here, but it is manual right? I am just asking for a friend in the south of England!

Thanks Ivar.

All these old Zeiss lenses for the Contax/Yaschica (CY) SLR are manual. I bought them some time ago from a friend of my father in law. He didn't used them anymore and offered them to me. I could not resist.
So I got a 18/4, two 28/2.8 , the 35/2.8, a 50/1.4, 60/2.8 Macro, two 85/2.8, a 100/4 Macro Planar to be used with bellows only, a 135/2.8 and a 180/2.8. I added the 35/2.8PC shift lens later on. Initially I had a Pentax K5 with newer Voigtländer lenses, but the Zeiss lenses fitted only using an adapter with additional lens to allow focusing to infinite. The performance of the Zeiss/Pentax combination with that adapter was not that good.
Therefore I switched to a used Canon 5DII. The flange focal length of the Canon EF mount is 44.0 mm, the Zeiss lenses with the CY-mount requiring 45.5 mm, allowing the mounting with a "lensless" adapter.
Some lenses extended into the mirror box of the Canon, the mirror striked against some lenses, especially the 18mm/4 and the 35/2.8 at infinite focusing. Of course I had to make some "modification" in the mirror box of the Canon (giving f.e the aperture lever some room), it worked. Focusing was manual (of course) but without any assistance. There are adapters available with focus confirmation, but I didn't used them. It worked and made fun.I'm still using it.
But when the Sony A7 came out, with its short flange focal length, all this hassle was gone. Focusing is assisted by 5x or even 10x magnification in the viewfinder. I do not use the focus peaking of the A7. It is not a fast system with these lenses, but it is what I currently like. The lenses are all fine, have all their own character and also their limitations.
I used the 28/2.8 quite a lot, it is a little more compact as the 35/2.8. I enjoy the 35/2.8 shift lens. It is huge, but it is fun to use it.
I'm noot sure, if I would better go today with the new lenses for the Sony A7. They are typically smaller, lighter, probably a better corrected. But again, these old lenses are still working good and make fun.:)

A fine image, Detlef. I agree with Ivar about the degree of humor inherent in shot. It makes you smile. Also I like how the light seems just a little brighter around the cluttered balcony. It works perfectly. (Were you poking your lens through one of the upper windows or were you lying on the roof to get the shot?:))

A fine image, Detlef. I agree with Ivar about the degree of humor inherent in shot. It makes you smile. Also I like how the light seems just a little brighter around the cluttered balcony. It works perfectly. (Were you poking your lens through one of the upper windows or were you lying on the roof to get the shot?:))

Thanks Brian. The photo look quite flat, so I slightly highlighted the balcony in postprocessing. Amazing, that you have recognized it. I hoped this trick is not visible;).
The photo was made from the attic. I only had to take out a window. My son was living in the opposite house for a year, learning for study and life.

Thanks Brian. The photo look quite flat, so I slightly highlighted the balcony in postprocessing. Amazing, that you have recognized it. I hoped this trick is not visible;).
The photo was made from the attic. I only had to take out a window. My son was living in the opposite house for a year, learning for study and life.
Well, whatever artifice you used, its still a fine image!

Back