llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch

Darren Turner

XProPhotographer
Translation - St Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazel near the rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio by the red cave

IMG_4101SMALL.jpg

IMG_4103SMALLBW.jpg

IMG_4109BWSMALL.jpg

IMG_4111SMALL.jpg

IMG_4114BWSMALL.jpg

This village was originally known as Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll (and is sometimes still referred to as Llanfairpwllgwyngyll) and was given its long name in the 19th century in an attempt to develop the village as a commercial and tourist centre (see Significance of the name below). Today the village is still signposted as Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, marked on Ordnance Survey maps as Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll and is known to locals as Llanfairpwll or simply Llanfair.

The name is also seen shortened to Llanfair PG, which is sufficient to distinguish it from the many other Welsh villages with Llanfair in their names. Other variant forms use the full name but with tysilio mutated to dysilio, and/or with a hyphen between drobwll and llan. In Welsh, the initial Ll may be mutated to a single L in some contexts.

Darren

Last edited:
Someone taught me how to say that a long time ago but I couldn't say it now...lol.

I just dissolve into flan flan flan flan go go go when I try to pronounce it! ;)

Love #1 - need to fix that lamp though! LOL

#5 - any chance a polarizer would have removed the reflections?

Back