Critique Welcomed Lobster Traps

John Holland

Lobster traps stacked on the dock waiting for the season to begin (or the next trip out).

Lobster_Traps_16May-01.jpg

I tried a B&W processing on this and then, went back and did a selective coloring of the B&W processed image - thoughts??

Lobster_Traps_16May-01-BW.jpg

Lobster_Traps_16May-01-BW2.jpg

Excellent John. Lobster pots are out for the whole season and stored ashore out of season. Here in Cornwall the season starts in the spring and peaks about now, the first week in July. The pots will come ashore in the autumn. These are Parlour pots, they are good as in lobsters swim and in an inkwell pot they swim in and out. Out when the sun rises so you'd ideally haul them at dawn first thing. These parlour pots aimed more for the lobster fisherman the lobsters cannot get out once in so in theory the pots need not be hauled every day.

Thank you for the illustrative way of making us seeing how to suit it to our liking John and to Julians informative addition.

I'm not a fan of selective coloring. The full color version is nice, though. However, I too prefer the B&W due to the period "feel." Nice composition, John.

I too prefer the B&W. If not for the car and van in the background it would be difficult to age! I also am not a fan of selective colour though it works better on your imge than most I have seen as it does help to focus the eye on the lobster pots..

for me it has to be the full colour. The background is too cluttered and without the full colour information, it just looks too busy, with no real delineation between foreground and background.

Perhaps shooting with a larger aperture to get the background a bit more blurred would help to isolate the subject while still giving a suggestion of its surroundings.

Back