London Bricks

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
...at Central Saint Martin's College, University of the Arts, London...taken while waiting for daughter to appear...an hour late...Phone shot: Huawei P9.

Interesting set of detail studies. Of course the classic yellow London brick is just a southern softie, when compared to a slab of Scottish granite.

Great use of the time Rob

I've heard of people using a technique to train themselves to see detail.

Walk for two minutes, then stop. You have two minutes to look around and find a subject or subjects to shoot.

Then you walk for two minutes and do the same thing again.

Cheers, Chris. It's a technique I learned while trying to cope with anxiety attacks, which often happen to me in unfamiliar places. It's a way of grounding yourself. Slow down, observe, and slowly ease into the environment. I've found the camera helps tremendously to calm me down, even if I don't take any shots.

I have a daughter like that too. About the same age too. Getting an education in the arts too. However, that's where the obvious similarities end. I've never thought of proactively using the available waiting time to photograph details surrounding me. Doubt I could have "seen" like this anyway. Fine foties Rob!

Back