Critique Welcomed Lunch In The Bamboo Garden

Brian Moore

Olympus XA and Arista Premium 400 film processed in Rodinal. Based on a brief exchange between @Pete Askew and myself, I scanned this B&W image as color negative. I did no further toning in post.

Really enjoying hearing about experiments Brian. Great result in difficult light.
Great set up with yer man on the left supping away doing his best to stay interested.

Really enjoying hearing about experiments Brian. Great result in difficult light.
Great set up with yer man on the left supping away doing his best to stay interested.
Thank you very much, Tom. (The XA does a magnificent job of dealing with low light.)

Love the toning, Brian. I imagine it's a technique you will use again. He has his uses, the boy Askew.
Och,...he's alright now and again! ;)

Yeah I like the toning too, Rob, and I'm glad old Pedro mentioned it to me. One interesting thing is that the tone varies wildly depending on sunny, night or indoors. The Bamboo Garden image above is typical toning for the indoor shots. However, shots taken in sunlight showed a rose colored or bright sepia tone, and night shots showed little difference in tone from what you might expect doing a straightforward B&W scan. Very interesting.

Super shot Brian. One could read conspiracy or menace in it I think and the lighting is great, especially the way it has created the soft blurred edges. And, in this instance the colour scan has created a nice titanium tone look.
They're plotting the destruction of Toyota, Pete. Both these blokes work for Honda; I've seen them here and there around the facility. They're probably engineers on temporary assignment from Japan. I like the tone very much and as you pointed out the way the backlighting has blurred the edges is very appealing indeed to me as well. Thanks for the comments, Pete, and thanks for the notion of the scanning technique.

Sneaky!

Did I see that Toyota were heading for TX?

Sneaky!

Did I see that Toyota were heading for TX?
That's right, Chris. Plano, just outside of Dallas. (Not far from South Fork Ranch!:))

A few years ago Nissan moved from Gardena to the Nashville area, and now Toyota plans to settle down in Texas. Rumors of an impending move by Honda to Ohio (where we have long built cars and motorbikes) were squashed today by our top brass. It used to be that having a West Coast distribution HQ made sense for the Japanese (and later, Korean) car manufacturers, since the cars were shipped to West Coast ports. (Similarly, this is why the European manufacturers are mostly based in the Northeast.) But today, with Honda producing more cars for the USA right here in the USA, similar situation to Toyota and Nissan I guess, proximity to seawater is trumped by lower state taxes and proximity to Midwest or Southern factories.

Back