The Gentleman Behind Me in the Queue

Brian Moore

I posted this one a few years ago but the link was broken when I moved all my photos a few years ago. Thought I'd post it again.

August 18, 2012; Glasgow. A Saturday night.

We had caught the train in London and arrived at Glasgow Central Station at about 11pm. We were waiting in line for a taxi to my brother-in-law's flat when I turned around and saw, immediately behind me, the gentleman you see here. It was only a fleeting glance but I thought, I'd like to take a picture of this remarkable specimen, but I actually don't fancy a punch in the nose this evening.

The Olympus XA is not only a capable machine, it is also small and silent, and therefore a discreet machine.

So, having successfully perpetuated the ruse that I had merely surveyed the scene behind as if to quite innocently assess the length of the queue, I held the XA in my hands behind my back, pointed it upward, and snapped the picture you see here.

No photographers were harmed in the making of this photograph.

Olympus XA with Arista Premium 400 film processed in Rodinal.

I'm glad you posted it again, Brian, as I can't say I saw it the first time. Kinda looks a little scary, to be honest. It forces me to confront my own fears and prejudices about night life in Glasgow - and I lived there as a music student for four years. I always felt uneasy in town at night, yet I was never assaulted or threatened. By contrast, in posh Edinburgh, home of the Scottish Enlightenment, I was beaten up twice for no apparent reason, just for the fun of it I think. Great shot!

I'm glad you posted it again, Brian, as I can't say I saw it the first time. Kinda looks a little scary, to be honest. It forces me to confront my own fears and prejudices about night life in Glasgow - and I lived there as a music student for four years. I always felt uneasy in town at night, yet I was never assaulted or threatened. By contrast, in posh Edinburgh, home of the Scottish Enlightenment, I was beaten up twice for no apparent reason, just for the fun of it I think. Great shot!
Thanks Rob. (Didn't you get accosted in Sauchiehall Street once?)

I remember the cracking photo, Brian, and writing a longish comment to it. Does the original link still work? I’d like to know what I said, jog a few memories, for better or worse. My brain is beginning to forget a lot of things, which worries me.

I remember the cracking photo, Brian, and writing a longish comment to it. Does the original link still work? I’d like to know what I said, jog a few memories, for better or worse. My brain is beginning to forget a lot of things, which worries me.
I think the original post with comments should still be there. The link to the photo may be broken.

Oh, well, I’m glad I’m beginning to forget the bad things! Being 6’3” and weird-looking does somehow offend some people. I took the train home from Edinburgh to South Queensferry on Saturday, only a 15m journey. The family next to me…well, what can I say? The father had Celtic and IRA tattoos and was whistling “We’re off to Dublin in the Green”. The hag of a wife was little different, and their teenage daughter was effing and blinding constantly, while they completely ignored her. After ten minutes, the guy turned to me saying, “What the fuck are you doing here?”. I said nothing, and got off five minutes later. I have to keep reminding myself that not everyone is a complete moron, but sometimes it’s hard to believe that.

Oh, well, I’m glad I’m beginning to forget the bad things! Being 6’3” and weird-looking does somehow offend some people. I took the train home from Edinburgh to South Queensferry on Saturday, only a 15m journey. The family next to me…well, what can I say? The father had Celtic and IRA tattoos and was whistling “We’re off to Dublin in the Green”. The hag of a wife was little different, and their teenage daughter was effing and blinding constantly, while they completely ignored her. After ten minutes, the guy turned to me saying, “What the fuck are you doing here?”. I said nothing, and got off five minutes later. I have to keep reminding myself that not everyone is a complete moron, but sometimes it’s hard to believe that.
He probably hates poodles, too. 😋

I posted this one a few years ago but the link was broken when I moved all my photos a few years ago. Thought I'd post it again.

August 18, 2012; Glasgow. A Saturday night.

We had caught the train in London and arrived at Glasgow Central Station at about 11pm. We were waiting in line for a taxi to my brother-in-law's flat when I turned around and saw, immediately behind me, the gentleman you see here. It was only a fleeting glance but I thought, I'd like to take a picture of this remarkable specimen, but I actually don't fancy a punch in the nose this evening.

The Olympus XA is not only a capable machine, it is also small and silent, and therefore a discreet machine.

So, having successfully perpetuated the ruse that I had merely surveyed the scene behind as if to quite innocently assess the length of the queue, I held the XA in my hands behind my back, pointed it upward, and snapped the picture you see here.

No photographers were harmed in the making of this photograph.

Olympus XA with Arista Premium 400 film processed in Rodinal.

Very cunning, I do not know whether I'd like to be in the back of a queue with you Brian:rolleyes:

Er, hang on a minute...

:oops:
I studied this photo for quite a while and just couldn't figure out what you were talking about. Then I clicked on the picture and it enlarged and that's when I saw it. Clearly you and the doppelganger shared the same 1/60th of a second.

Proof of evolution. Either you were born with it, or got passed by when it was dosed out.

I think IQ is on a logarithmic scale, like pH, Richter's, etc. 10 points doesn't sound like much.

Proof of evolution. Either you were born with it, or got passed by when it was dosed out.

I think IQ is on a logarithmic scale, like pH, Richter's, etc. 10 points doesn't sound like much.
I should have written "...WE were born with it ..", as there's less chance of misunderstanding who I was referring to. I was not directing that toward anyone reading the post! The 'person' who should be offended will never see it, because it's (I assume) difficult to type with dragging knuckles.

I'm typing with an 'accent', as well.

Back