Maggie's Centre, Edinburgh

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Maggie's Centre is a beautiful place, dedicated to helping patients and their families cope with cancer. The Edinburgh centre is close to our house, and we were regular visitors when Susan suffered from cancer some three years ago. Obviously she survives, thanks to her medical team at the adjoining hospital, but if it weren't for Maggie's, both of us would have found it impossible to cope with. We have raised a little money through charity walks, baking sales, etc. Yes, the place means a lot to us, even though we don't visit now.

A couple of weeks ago I put some Velvia in my T90, and took 36 shots of the commemoration garden adjoining the building. Unfortunately, being a complete numpty, I sent the roll off to Joan for regular processing. I got a call from Alison saying that she could put it through the chemicals, but the colours might come out differently. It was either that or have it sent back to me. Well, being the adventurous sort, I said 'go ahead'. Sad to say, the prints are unusable. Here's a typical example [click to enlarge]:

CNV00001.jpg

I was going to bin the lot, but realised there might be a slight analogy with what Maggie's Centre was doing, and I should try to recover some shots. By filtering them through Nik Silver, I managed to salvage a few. Here are three...This particular Maggie's Centre was the first built, and is regarded by many as an iconic building.

Maggie's Centre by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

Iconic by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

Heart Centre by RobMacKillop, on Flickr​

Last edited:
Thanks, Pete. Very pleased with the last one.

- - - Updated - - -

So, what are you meant to do with a roll of Velvia? Do they have to be made into slides?

I initially asked for a CD of scans, and the prints come free. Alison said she could send it back to me to send elsewhere, or she could just put it in with all the other rolls for that day. She did say the colour migh be affected, but it was a gamble. All I wanted really was the scanned negs. Slides are of no use, and I'm not really bothered about prints.

I see. So it was developed in the wrong chemistry. Most colour print is C41 and slides are E6. They are quite different, hence the wacky colours. These will probably have been made worse because the scanning would have assumed it was colour negative and therefore compensated for the base colour that isn't there on a transparency. I presume that the colours on the actual film are not as extreme as on the scans. Have you looked?

I don't know - they look pretty whacky on the negs. Very green. The scans are very red. Well, lesson learned. I'll have to find somewhere else to send them if I use Velvia again.

If you can re-scan the transparencies without the correction for negative film you should be able to recover quite a few of the shots. I can try and do them before I go back to Germany for you if you like (or in Germany on the film scanner).

Interesting Rob. The pics are superb. the second is my kind of image , love it for the tones on the left side with the book.The, what looks a bit like a Clematis flower about to open to the sun is beautiful.

Rob, please give my best wishes to Susan. I did not know.

I am amazed how you salvaged the wrong processing. These are very nice compositions and tones are exceptional, despite the wrong chemicals. A beautiful set, and I really enjoy the architectural ratios on the first one. :)

What are you talking about, Rob? I love that cross-processed color image you included as a thumbnail! :)

As for the B&W ones, I think #2 is very cool!

What are you talking about, Rob? I love that cross-processed color image you included as a thumbnail! :)

Knew you would! :D

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice Rob

Back