Mamiya RB67 Pro SD - an Amateur's Diary

CD of images arrived fifteen minutes ago. After a quick look through, I have to say I was disappointed, though the fault is mine. It will take a little study to get on top of this camera. The black and white turned out better than the colour. I'm pushed for time, so here is what I think is the best shot from the batch.

What do you think of it? I've done absolutely nothing to it.

Crammond2 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr​

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a link to its full size: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robmac1/8166552247/sizes/o/in/photostream/

And another, Nik-ed

Crammond4a by RobMacKillop, on Flickr​

Not enough detail in the dark areas here, but in general I'm beginning to see some interest for me in combining film and digital processing, especially with the Nik effects. Seem to end up with something I couldn't achieve with either film or digital alone.

I just loaded the first one on Flikr and I was like....epic negative size :D lol the detail is really really nice, but it is a tad grainy, the Nik-ed ones look good, much smoooother :) did you enjoy shooting on it though?

Yes, grainy, as you say, David. I have Nik Dfine2 which is a degrainulator :cool:

I actually really enjoyed shooting with it, and it has given me ideas for further shots, but I must do more homework and learn how to use it more effectively.

Hehe that sounds like an awesome setting lol :D what ISO was the black and white btw? It seems a pretty cool camera to shoot, although seems to have a fair few buttons lol you going to get lots of different film backs for it to experiment?

Same as I have, once I get my negatives scanned in from the Bessa and the Kodak Six-20 we can compare, you might find that your camera gives a much sharper image meaning you see the grain and my 60+ year old camera lenses are softer so perhaps you don't see it - ie Nik'ed by the camera and not the computer lol will see what they are like when I get mine scanned.

Same lol they probably won't be amazing as they are just test rolls, wasn't sure if the cameras were 100% fully working ie no light leaks, but will be interesting to compare.

liking the scans + NIK - very nice look Rob

What's your take away from the first roll(s)?

Remember - I shot a whole roll with the lens cap on when I got the Fuji 6x9!

Here's the best from that set - PP in NIK Silver FX

8168509053_cb528183a2_o.jpg

Well, I did better than the great Chris Dodkin! :cool:

I think there is promise. At the end of this month I start a course (four Tuesday evenings) on developing B&W film, and then will have use of the darkroom pretty much any time I want. The woman who runs the class is delighted that I'll be bringing along an MF camera.

I was surprised that the High Res images on the CD were only between 1 and 2 MB in size - considering the dimensions of the images, I was expecting 30 MBs or so. Not sure how that works.

I don't think I had the right speed of film for the light on the day. I'm wondering if 125 would have produced better contrast and detail. Not sure what the difference is between HP5, which I used, and, say, HP4?

The colour film images look dull and drab, really quite poor. I used Fuji Pro 400H. Nothing recoverable from them.

I like the sepia-ish version above, and think I will spend some time combining both disciplines.

Who did the processing Rob?
the scans will be low as tey are really intended as like a contact print (I think)
you can ask for "pro scanning" which gets you a higher res!
Scanning at home will of course give you whatever res you want ... I scan mine at 3200dpi that gives 40mp ish eqiv files from memory.

Fp4 is finer grain than hp5, so probably more detail, but the lack of detail is in the quality of scan realy ...
hp5 is higher contrast ... Not sure why you have little contrast tbh someone who knows more might be able to tell you!

you will get a lot out of home deving Rob, I've only played with two chemicals and maybe 3 films and the variety of results from different variables is amazing!

Joan did it, Hamish, and I asked for the Pro CD. I'll phone her later today to ask about the contrast, and recommendations, etc. The CD came with low, medium and high res images.

Hi Stephen, nice to have you here. Any advice from your experience would be much appreciated. Looking forward to getting out and about this weekend for more shots, but I still only have 400 film. It would be great to see some of your shots as well. Welcome to the forum!

Back