Mave On The Move Week 26

David M. Byrne

Hello once again,

I never intended to come to Sri Lanka as part of this trip (but I’m sure glad I did). It’s one of those countries no one really pays much attention to. Some might even think it part of India, its much larger & popular neighbour to the northwest & my next port of call. It’s not of course (part of India, that is). The teardrop shaped country with a population of some 20 million lays claim to a long and varying history of over three thousand years, having one of the longest documented histories in the world. Occupied by the Portuguese in the 16th century and by the Dutch in the 17th century, the island was ceded to the British in 1796, and became a crown colony in 1802. As Ceylon, it became independent in 1948; the name was changed to Sri Lanka in 1972.

The only reason I’m here now is because I noticed when investigating Korea to India flights that Sri Lanka would be a convenient pre-India addition to the trip itinerary. I've now been 5 days in the country & with a week still to go there’s plenty more to see. Here’s my pick of images for week 26 of the trip, days 176-182.

Picture 109, Day 179 - Colombo to Galle Train, Sri Lanka. August 31st 2012
109.jpg

I spent my first day in Sri Lanka, day 178 of the trip, in the capital Colombo. It was raining the whole time and that coupled with tiredness meant my camera was just as quiet in the raucous Sri Lankan capital as I was. Getting to the south coast on the train the next morning was quite the adventure, squashed as I was with some very curious Sri Lankans in the doorway of a very overcrowded train (I struggled to board the train, such was the space constraints... & after they just kept piling in). I tried to capture the sardine-esque scene in the carriage but couldn't quite manage it. I do however like this picture I captured on the two & a half hour trip of a boy looking out the open window of the carriage as the train speeds to its destination. Space was so tight as I stood in the carriage that I had to take this picture unframed with the camera well above my head – bringing the viewfinder to eye level wasn't an option.

Picture 110, Day 179 - Galle Train Station Platform, Southern Sri Lanka. August 31st 2012
110.jpg

Although it’s my first visit to the country I still have a fair idea with to expect from it photographically; tea plantations, coastal scenery, colonial architecture, ancient ruins &, as with the Indian subcontinent, people. Lots of people. For my first few days here they - people - were all I seemed to photograph. Stepping off the train in Galle station onto the crowded platform on my second day in the country provided me with no shortage of photographic opportunities. I captured quite a few images I liked on the platform with the above image being my favourite of the lot - I love the five unique expressions on the people walking towards me.

Picture 111, Day 179 – Galle Train Station Platform, Southern Sri Lanka. August 31st 2012
111.jpg

Another picture I captured on Galle train ststion platform is this one of a young boy leaning out a train carriage window. He seemed to like me and was happy to pose. To me this picture is all about the contrast of old frowns & young smiles.
Note: You can see all the images I captured in Galle Station having stepped off the train from Colombo in my 'Faces Of Sri Lanka' blog entry.

Picture 112, Day 180 - Unawatuna, Southern Sri Lanka. September 1st 2012
112.jpg

I based myself at the beach resort of Unawatuna in the south of the country for three nights (it was my birthday weekend so I had a valid excuse). It was a busy holiday weekend spurred on no doubt by the emergence of the sun; its appearance this time of year - April to November, the rainy season - is never guaranteed. I took the above picture of activity on the beach of Unawatuna from Rumassala, a rocky outcrop at the west end of the crescent-shaped beach. This beach, the most popular in the south of the country, was hit hard during the December 2004 tsunami, virtually wiping out the resort as it stood then & killing hundreds. Memories of the devastation remain but the resort has been rebuilt, mostly thanks to the generosity of foreigners. It’s a mellow place to hang out with sipping beers at any of the beachfront cafes the thing to do while whiling away the days.
Note: This picture was originally uploaded to my 'Unawatuna, Sri Lanka' photography blog entry.

Picture 113, Day 181 – Cricket, Galle, Southern Sri Lanka. September 2nd 2012
113.jpg

Only 5km from Unawatuna is Galle, an old port town & the fourth-biggest in Sri Lanka. Its main attract is its Unesco-listed, 36-hectare Fort, built by the Dutch in 1663. After its construction Galle was the main port for Sri Lanka & for over 200 years the main stop for marine travel on the Europe-Asia route. Today the Fort is a warren of atmospheric streets & lanes lined with centuries-old buildings offering up the best-preserved example of colonial life in Asia. I didn't get many pictures I was happy with while walking atop the impressive Fort walls or meandering through its streets & lanes but I do like this picture of a far-off game of cricket, the most popular sport in Sri Lanka, as seen from the walls of the Fort.

Picture 114, Day 181 - Snake Charmer in Galle Fort, Southern Sri Lanka. September 2nd 2012
114.jpg

Certainly more photogenic than it was entertaining (I swear the snake was drugged) I like this picture of a snake charmer doing he best to impress the gathering crowds in the grounds of the Galle Fort.
Note: You can see all the images I captured in Galle on this day as uploaded to the 'Galle, Sri Lanka' entry of my photography blog.

Picture 115, Day 181 - Stilt Fishing, Southern Sri Lanka. September 2nd 2012
115.jpg

Stilt fishing is a tradition practiced by only a few communities in southwestern part of the country. Poles are firmly embedded in the sea bottom, close to shore & where the fisherman perch casting their lines in the hopes of catching spotted herrings & small mackerels, which are stored in bags tied around the pole. Stilt positions are passed down from father to son & are highly coveted, although looking at this picture one may probably wonder why. I had seen pictures of this activity before, idyllic images of figures perched daintily on stilts amid calm waters silhouetted against the setting sun. Not so on this day, a day on which I - & my tuk-tuk driver - were surprised to see anyone braving the elements. I suspect they were doing so only for the tourist dollar; one has to pay to take pictures and the 300 rupees (€1.80) it cost me to stand on the shoreline for a few minutes taking pictures was more, I assume, than this fisherman made catching fish.
Note: You can see another image of the stilt fisherman as uploaded to the 'Stilt Fishing, Sri Lanka' entry of my photography blog.

Picture 116, Day 182 - Rainy Season Tuk-Tuk. Unawatuna, Southern Sri Lanka. September 3rd 2012
116.jpg

As mentioned earlier it's rainy season on the Sri Lankan southwest coast this time of year so it’s not ideal beach weather. I took this picture of a tuk-tuk (called a three wheeler in Sri Lanka) just as I was leaving the beach of Unawatuna to head inland to the hill country in the centre of the country, where I am right now (& where it seems to be a bit dryer).

What/Where Next?
I’ll still be in Sri Lanka for the next 7 days, week 27 of the trip, spending it mostly in the central highlands drinking tea & eating rotis.

Don't forget to keep a check on the dedicated travel page of my photography blog for regular from-the-road trip updates & to check on my present whereabouts.

Until next time.
David M

Back