Mcafee Woes

Lesley Jones

Otherwise know as Zooey
After yet another evening of not being able to use the computer, we’re thinking of killing off McAfee. We bought a brand new PC about three months ago because CS5 fell over a lot with my massive files. The new PC has been great, but it came with McAfee and lately it has been taking over the machine. Last night was typical – I switched on, did a few things and then wondered why it started taking forever to type even one letter. I know by now – a quick check of task manager shows McAfee using up to 99% of the CPU. You can’t end task, or shut down the machine without a fight and left to its own devices, it will do this for up to two hours meaning I get nothing done at all.
Any thoughts?

Sorry to hear about this, Lesley. This type of thing is one of the reasons I went to a Mac. (And after 2 years of Mac use I have no intention of returning to the world of the PC.)

That's no help to you I realize; I guess the best thing is to follow Hamish's advice: uninstall McAfee and find another program to protect your computer.

Mac

On all my PCs for quite a few years now I use Comodo Internet Security Suite. It is free, really does work and has saved me quite a few times. I also use CCleaner regularly clean the system files and registry as this tends to remove a lot of the junk that accumulates on the hard drive.

kapersky here, its free as i use online banking with Barclay bank (they provide a yearly subsciption code), i never get many issues, prior to this free Avast and that never failed me

Back