Mile high club

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Was on a fairly lengthy flight across the US today, with plenty of offline time to kill - so I took a few of my favorite colour shots from N Arizona, and re-processed them as toned B&W images.

What do you think?

web.jpg

Cathedral Rock from Red Rock Crossing - Sedona

web.jpg

Disused mine building - Jerome

web.jpg

Apple processing building - Slide Rock State Park - Sedona

I never saw the color ones but I think the B&W versions are even nicer! I'm sure that makes perfect sense. :)

The sky is amazing in all three of these images, Chris!

#1 and #3 I like, especially the sky in #1

#2 I find a little bright. Darkening the whole thing gives a much moodier picture that suits the derelict buildings.

Absolutely spectacular that way, Chris. Stunning. Did you do these on your laptop? Do you bring a portable HD with you when kn the road? My current setup isn't that mobile. Wish it was, as I'm flying cross-country myself today.

for me 1&2 are as good as it gets, the depth, contrast and detail are astonishing !!

Thanks chaps! :)

Adrian - you might be right about #2, I'll take another look at it.

Darren - I have a bunch of PSD files on my laptop - basically anything I've worked on in the field in the last year, so plenty to play with! Loving the control I have with Topaz B&W.

Did a few more on the way back home - again, all shots from N Arizona.

web.jpg

Cottage at Slide Rock - Sedona

web.jpg

The Mill at Red Rock Crossing - Sedona

web.jpg

Watson Lake - Prescott

web.jpg

Snowfall on Courthouse Butte - Sedona

web.jpg

View from Airport Mesa - Sedona

Wow, #3 Watson Lake is superb!

Have you been chanelling Ansel Adams or something..?:D

(Which makes me think he might make a very good subject for another photographer profile...)

I just love that first shot Chris, it's a winner for me and what a great shot the have to play about with so many options!

Vic

Wow, #3 Watson Lake is superb!

Have you been chanelling Ansel Adams or something..?:D

(Which makes me think he might make a very good subject for another photographer profile...)

Well, I read a very good write-up on the Zone system (As used by AA) for B&W exposure - and it talked about having 8 zones from black-white. http://dpanswers.com/content/tech_zonesystem.php

So I went back to my Topaz filter, and set up 8 adaptive exposure zones, and went to work from there.

So the short answer is maybe :D

Last edited:
Gallery, there's a thought..... :)

They might make it onto a wall or two - I'm going to try having some prints done at North Cost Photographic Services in Carlsbad - North Coast Photographic Services

Also thinking of adding a couple more to the set, and putting them into a themed calendar - I can put one together in iPhoto.

truly stunning work i remember the colour ones, or ones very similar. I think they work so well with this treatmnet what ever you have done to them suits the images very well.

Great work Chirs

Daz

Back