Return to Cathedral Rock - Sedona AZ

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
The weather was good today, sunshine and fluffy (interesting) clouds.

Headed out West of Sedona to Red Rock Crossing, to re-visit Cathedral Rock as the sun went down. $10 to get into the 'park', but I figured it would be worth the outlay.

Went the whole hog, tripod, polarizer, self timer to avoid camera shake, etc etc - ****** off SWMBO as I spent an full hour shooting the same scene as the light changed.

Had a couple of Indian tourists set up their Nikon and tripod to my right - so must have been the right spot! ;)

Here are three shots from the set - 5D MKII, 28-70 f2.8L lens, f16 ISO 100

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Last edited:
three lovely shots of that very impressive rock, beautiful colour on them rocks, and love the reflections too, looks very scenic area

Very nice, looks like a lovely place for a walk and photo's.......... and maybe a bit of Wildlife too ;)

HEY! thats just like that round here:D
great shots

Very nice, looks like a lovely place for a walk and photo's.......... and maybe a bit of Wildlife too ;)

Well, there were kids swimming in the pool when I arrived, if that counts as wildlife! LOL

Most of the wildlife we saw was insect based - red ants large enough to carry away your tripod, and mosquitos which seemed to like SWMBOs perfume, based on the number of bites she had!

three lovely shots of that very impressive rock, beautiful colour on them rocks, and love the reflections too, looks very scenic area

Thanks Laurie - Sedona is very beautiful, lots of lovely rock formations, which unlike Grand Canyon and Monument Valley, you can get right up close to.

There are also some very cool native American ruins and Petroglyph sites, and some beautiful pine forests as you go up in elevation.

Sedona is pretty high up, around 4,500 ft, so sometimes get's a dusting of snow in winter - which one day I'll capture on camera!

Hi Guys,
Hope you dont mind me butting in on this thread - great pics BTW :) - but I used to be a SCUBA diver and when I saw 'Cathedral Rock' I thought we had another diver amongst us. To me (in Limey Land) Cathedral Rock is an interesting rock formation just offshore of St. Abb's Head, which is just north of the England/Scotland border on the east coast. I have dived there several times and was never bored with looking at it. It consisted of a rock formation with a Norman shaped arch going up from bottom level which had a flat top, on which was perched a smaller Norman shaped arch - sorry but I used to dive with a video camera so no still pics.
Right, back on topic, sorry for the interruption.
Dave.

wow now were talking, i am glad you returned to the fantastic looking place. More great images of the rock. All 3 are great but it has to be pic 3 thast my personal favourite,

Daz

I love the names given to the rocks and you can certainly see why this is known as Cathedral Rock really is impressive, I got a thing about rock formations find them fascinating - also the coffee pot one you can definitely see why that has its name too

Hi Guys,
Hope you dont mind me butting in on this thread - great pics BTW :) - but I used to be a SCUBA diver and when I saw 'Cathedral Rock' I thought we had another diver amongst us. To me (in Limey Land) Cathedral Rock is an interesting rock formation just offshore of St. Abb's Head, which is just north of the England/Scotland border on the east coast. I have dived there several times and was never bored with looking at it. It consisted of a rock formation with a Norman shaped arch going up from bottom level which had a flat top, on which was perched a smaller Norman shaped arch - sorry but I used to dive with a video camera so no still pics.
Right, back on topic, sorry for the interruption.
Dave.

can u get any still pics from the video captures? underwater shots are really something

Back