Critique Welcomed My Street Theme: Oak Creek Blvd, Sedona AZ

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Spending Thanksgiving in Sedona AZ, so I figured I'd get up early this morning, and shoot Oak Creek Blvd for the 'my street' theme.

Sedona is a small town in northern Arizona - this is not the Arizona of deserts and cacti, Sedona is at 4,500 ft and has deciduous and pine forests, and an amazing red rock landscape.

The only industry here is tourism, and the town is full of vacation homes and hotels, restaurants and gift shops.

It's a fabulous place to visit, and we fell in love with it after staying here on vacation.

Oak Creek Blvd is in West Sedona, and is a mile long road heading from the main highway, up the side of airport mesa.

The main reason you'd buy a house here, is the view...

8210819545_313c442f62_b.jpg

From this street you have a killer view of Capital Butte and Coffee Pot Rock

There's an eclectic mix of building styles on the street - including some nice mid century properties.

8211908920_0519048a2e_b.jpg

The street is mostly residential at the top of the hill (where the views are), but is also zoned for commercial use - this leads us to a couple of 'unique' properties further down the hill.

First is the truckers house - he has a huge front yard/drive area, in-front of his truck storage - and at the side of the yard are his retired Fords.

8211909268_1726f0f8df_b.jpg

Across from him is Bob the Welder, and his workshop.

8211909706_2bc5c85ee3_b.jpg

It's handy when you need steel for your deck railing - nothing like shopping local!

And finally, I couldn't do a series on the street without featuring the truly American Mailbox. The street is lined with a crazy selection of styles, some of which have been heavily customized.

This one sums up the rural feel of the street nicely - as it slowly rusts in the dry Arizona climate

8211910058_793c4ddd3d_b.jpg

All shots X-Pro1 - Lenses 18mm and 35mm - Off camera fill flash used on the road sign in shot #1

they are some dam amazing photos Chris, how the heck are we going to be able to compete with them..............!!

really love the small write up for each image which make the images makes a little more sense and even more special

great works

Daz

8211908920_0519048a2e_b.jpg

All shots X-Pro1 - Lenses 18mm and 35mm

The clarity & naturalness of XTrans sensor reminds me so much of Foveon (without Foveon's drawbacks).
XE1 with lens is about the same as £££ as DP2M, much as i like Foveon i think XE1 is the one for me.

First is the truckers house - he has a huge front yard/drive area, in-front of his truck storage - and at the side of the yard are his retired Fords.

8211909268_1726f0f8df_b.jpg

Love that meaty pickup on the left. One reason i dont enjoy driving & dont drive is cause most vehicles these days are neither meaty nor beautiful, they just wussy wagons.

Thanks everyone :)

Darren - I think the cool thing about he theme is that stuff that looks local to you will look new and different to people around the world, and vice versa.

Ahmad - should be a lovely camera that XE1, same sensor, same lenses.

Rob, that EBAY auction is very dodgy looking!

Back