Minature World of Wonder

Ali Campbell

Many thanks to Hamish for sorting out my Login Issues:p

Getting back into my Macro after abit of a break. So thought it about time i participated here. All are recent shots and taken with Canons MPe-65 Macro Lens, MT24ex Twin Flash, 550D and Handheld.

All single shots at f11 or f13 and all are full flash (no natural light in the scene).

Small Wasp approx 3mm in size.

Small Wasp by Abovelifesize, on Flickr

Nomada Bee Sleeping

Nomada Bee by Abovelifesize, on Flickr

Small Wasp by Abovelifesize, on Flickr

Ladybird preparing for take off

Take Off by Abovelifesize, on Flickr

Small Blue Butterfly

Small Butterfly by Abovelifesize, on Flickr

Messy Eater by Abovelifesize, on Flickr

Old Man

Myopa buccata - Thick Headed Fly by Abovelifesize, on Flickr

Jumping Spider

Jumping Spider by Abovelifesize, on Flickr

WOW what else can I say

There's nothing more I can say on this other than AMAZING!!
I'm very intrigued into how you achieved these results visually. Do you care to post a pic of your set up?? :)

No probs Buddy!
550d eh? Have you retired the 350 then?

Why has that chap got a beard? I've not seen anything like that before!
They really are a step sideways(/up!) from normal macro stuff of bugs, you just don't see them in this light! Such an other worldly feel to them?

Are you still after constructive critism ...
I couldn't possibly comment on the technique it's self as I know sod all about it... But it occurs to me that i/we might have thoughts on some of the more relatable elements to the images like composition!

Are those bits of Gary Fong lightspheres?
If you can be arsed to start another thread with those pix and a bit of info that would be brilliant matey ...

Wow!!! There is nothing more to say, only that I am in bug heaven. Each one had me more excited - the little old man is wonderful, but jumping spiders are my absolute favourite. We found a seemingly dead spider in the ferrets' water this morning. I put him on some kitchen roll and blew on him until he recovered. He's outside on my agapanthus now :)

Nice one!! What a great looking set up!! Lol.
Thanks for doing that :)

That flash setup makes your camera look like a bug, maybe that's how you get so close to them;).

Excellent macro shots Ali, the sort of shots I can only dream of taking so I'll carry on enjoying these.

I need a macro lens & i want ago at this.........will probably fail big time haha

Cant believe how good these are, absolutely stunning work the detail is amazing.

Are these cropped in any way ?

Daz

These are stunningly good! It's great to see the kit needed too. Love the jumping spiders.

... Dans comment reminds me, I was going to say...
We have a couple of people who do macro photography, one or two of which are pretty good at it ...
A chap named Rense for eg is doing very well with this
http://www.realphotographersforum.com/content/772-my-new-macro-rig.html

Maybe if you can find the time you can show off your current rig and talk us through it a bit...?

Thanks Hamish. But my results are nothing compared to those of Ali. Wow, wonderful shots, amazing!

He certainly has the knack doesn't he?!
I sold him his first macro lens dont you know ... then the bugger went off and got AWESOME in the blink of an eye!

Back