Miss my Sigma DP3

I confess that in my ignorance I was not familiar with Sigma cameras and had to find out about them on the Internet (this says a lot about how deep my ignorance is on the subject of photography). I don't know if now my judgment is biased by what I have read about the Sigmas, but in your photos I seem to sense something “unique” as you say.

I was going to ask you what happened to your Sigmas, but searching the forum I pieced together a bit of their history. Maybe I should ask @Brian Moore what happened to his 'Sigma Rob MacKillop'.

BTW, (especially) the second photo posted here takes time to fully appreciate, but it doesn't get forgotten.

Maybe I should ask @Brian Moore what happened to his 'Sigma Rob MacKillop'.
I still have that camera, Gianluca. I don't shoot with it very often,...mostly because the batteries die so quickly. A couple of years after I bought it from @Rob MacKillop it developed a flaw in the sensor. (The flaw would manifest itself in the form of a white + combined with a dark smudge in the upper right of each image. It was often hard to see but in a blue sky it popped out pretty magnificently. I took it to the Sigma HQ on Long Island, New York (convenient because I had a business meeting just a few miles from the Sigma facility). They at first suspected I had opened the camera up but really it was clear to anyone that it had never been tampered with. Anyway, they sent it to the Sigma Mother Ship in Japan. Two months later it arrived at my doorstep in California. Flaw fixed. Best of all, they never charged me a dime for repair or shipping. (That was a blessing because Rob had refused to honor any personal warranties implied by my purchase from him,...the scoundrel!)

I still have that camera, Gianluca. I don't shoot with it very often,...mostly because the batteries die so quickly. A couple of years after I bought it from @Rob MacKillop it developed a flaw in the sensor. (The flaw would manifest itself in the form of a white + combined with a dark smudge in the upper right of each image. It was often hard to see but in a blue sky it popped out pretty magnificently. I took it to the Sigma HQ on Long Island, New York (convenient because I had a business meeting just a few miles from the Sigma facility). They at first suspected I had opened the camera up but really it was clear to anyone that it had never been tampered with. Anyway, they sent it to the Sigma Mother Ship in Japan. Two months later it arrived at my doorstep in California. Flaw fixed. Best of all, they never charged me a dime for repair or shipping. (That was a blessing because Rob had refused to honor any personal warranties implied by my purchase from him,...the scoundrel!)

It was Rob that opened it, I'm sure!

My question is: was it the Foveon sensor to give these cameras their unique output? Or was it that, plus something else (the lenses, f.i.)?
The lenses are very good and they get a lot of praise,...but I think most people attribute the Sigma look to the Foveon sensor.

Back