Montmatre, Paris

Jim Kuo

The man in the hat
Spent the weekend in Paris, Hamish urged me to visit Montmatre, and here are some snaps.

I didn't make it up there the best time of the day for dramatic lighting, anyway... :)

As usual, I am looking forward to hearing your comments and feedbacks.

Some random lady, waiting for her relative to take her picture. I thought the colour and style of her dress suits the style of the building in the backdrop quite well.
IMG_7622.jpg

View of Paris from Montmatre.
IMG_7640.jpg

IMG_7649.jpg

The entire album is posted here https://picasaweb.google.com/jimhpkuo/Paris#

Jim

Last edited:
Hey, nice mate... Looks like the weathr treated you well!
When we were there it was grey and raining for the whole weekend!

Really like the one of the 2 ladys, your right, the colours are really nice!!

It's the two people on the wall in the foreground that make the second one! Did you use a blue filter or is it pp?

Nice dramatic sky in the last one too!
What fascinated me in Paris was how flat most of it seems ... You stand at the top of that tower and it doesn't matter which direction you look it goes on and on with those grey buildings to the horizon ...
I'll have to see if I can dig a few shots out from up there ... Did you get up to the top of the sacre coeur

Thanks for your encourgement, I used ND gradual filter (ND4) for all of these. I have a habit of increasing the vibrancy in Lightroom, I think I probably have gone a bit overboard, hence the overly blue sky ;-)

I like #2 as well, I did intentionally frame the picture that way when I noticed the two guys sitting on the wall.

A slightly (but unrelated) disappointing note, I stack two Cokin filters in one box (to save space in my camera bag), some dirt got in between them, now I have two pieces of filters with permanent scratches :-(

So kids... don't do it! ^_^

Jim

The first one is excellent! The square crop really works.

What are the people on the left doing?

Thanks Tim :)

I think it was a group tour waiting in an assembly, the place was packed with tourists!

I think it's just the blue overspilling on to the buildings that doesn't look quite right ... Although it's not a major thing ... Mane try warming the whole image ... It might tone down the blue overspill a little?

Do you shoot raw? Sorry if asked before...

Bad news on the cokins ... Ah well, ya live and learn!

Yes, I shoot RAW. I appreciate the additional flexibility that RAW has over JPEG.

Currently looking through photo gear sites trying to buy my filters again....

I warmed up #2 a bit and cropped out 1/3 of the sky. It does look better.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Nice captures. I always wanted to visit France and especially Paris. Haven't got there yet.

Back