Trip to Paris with Work

G

Graeme Harvey

Took a bunch of kids (age 11-15) to Paris last weekend. Finally got to take some pictures (first in anger in a long, long time). Here are 4 that I can use (i.e. no kids on them)

Eiffel Tower

DSCF6557.jpg

Arc de Triomphe

DSCF6558.jpg

Installation in the Pompidou Centre (Modern Art)

DSCF6629.jpg

My take on the same installation (Guess how I did it!)

DSCF6631.jpg

You know I've been to Paris quite a few times and the only picture of the Eifel Tower is of the lights at night shot on B&W film! I like that last shot. I assume it was taken as a reflection in the sphere in the middle of the installation. So it's a self-portrait then! :)

You know I've been to Paris quite a few times and the only picture of the Eifel Tower is of the lights at night shot on B&W film! I like that last shot. I assume it was taken as a reflection in the sphere in the middle of the installation. So it's a self-portrait then! :)

Right on the money, Pete. However, if I display it somewhere without the original pic showing the sphere, and say to all the "I-hate-photoshop-and-the-like" types that this was all done in camera without any post-processing whatsoever, do you think they'd get it? ;-)

Incidentally, I'm probably the only "artist" (stifled mirth) with a self-portrait in the Centre Pompidou and also in the Louvre....

DSCF6571.jpg

:D

Looks like you ha some smashing weather Grez!

Nice tower and arch - but I like the arty installation shots the best - very cool

Nice fisheye you had there!

You're probably right Grez. If you'd done the same thing a few years ago though no-one would have even thought about some sort of manipulation, they'd have been looking for shiny tubes, spheres etc. Now the first though is PS! Now if you'd only been crouching down a bit in that last shot you could have claimed you'd been wearing a big hat!! :)

You're probably right Grez. If you'd done the same thing a few years ago though no-one would have even thought about some sort of manipulation, they'd have been looking for shiny tubes, spheres etc. Now the first though is PS! Now if you'd only been crouching down a bit in that last shot you could have claimed you'd been wearing a big hat!! :)

Nice one. Now why didn't I think of that?

GREZ! How's it hangin man?
Nice shots!
Nice POV of the tower, where were you standing? On the far bank?
I really like the one of the sphere, was it an acident getting all the people in such a nice position around you?

GREZ! How's it hangin man?

Doing well here thanks, mate! :D

Nice shots!

Ta! Very nice of you to say so!

Nice POV of the tower, where were you standing? On the far bank?

You might say I was IN SEINE (chortle! chortle!) but it was taken from a boat-trip on the river. Weather had been up-and-down all day. but we got sunshine (from behind) and a beautiful blue sky just as the boat was turning round by the tower. And no-one walked in front of me while I was taking it! Fan-bloomin-tastic!

I really like the one of the sphere, was it an acident getting all the people in such a nice position around you?

I was standing in the area with a small group of our kids and I loved the installation. There was so much to look at and take in with the different coloured filters there and the sphere and everything. Then I got the idea to take a pic of the view from the sphere, which I showed the kids who I think were probably wondering about the state of my sanity at the time, but they loved it. We all agreed that it was album-sleeve material, so I got them to line up behind the filters and took version 2 (above). So, although there are some of my charges in the photo, there's no way that anyone would ever recognise them (apart from people who know them well) and so it would be OK to stick this on a public forum.

I have to say I was really pleased with the effect, and I'd love to go back and really tighten up the shot. However, you don't get much time to think about what you're doing when you're in part-charge of a group of 34 teenagers, and so all you can do is the best you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back