Critique Welcomed More From The Beach

Beth Carter

bettery herring is an ww2 era base located on the park. it's been closed for years while they restored it. i wanted to go in the ww2 look out tower, but it was closed off for a special event that day. there's area 3 other towers around the park, but i didn't make it to any of them this trip.

part of the restorations, there were groups of pipes that fed water, oil and electricity to the building. as it was a pretty quickly constructed building they didn't bother burying any of the pipes, they just ran across the dunes and into the building. the pipes were cut off during the restoration and removed to make it safer for people to walk through the knee high grasses.

a fence along the path from the battery down to the beach. it's an odd hike through pine tree covered dunes that go out to the beach.

and a couple more of the rocks that have washed away from the jetty and pylons

Oh yes!! Love the write up too. Nicely done Beth

@Beth Anthony ...if my memory is correct...and trust me it's a little shaky...I believe we...Navy...used to use Battery Herring as a very secret spy listening post in the 70/80's. The only reason I know is that it was one of my duties when I was stationed in Staten Island in the 70's to watch over the twigits that maintained and operated in NY...NJ...DE. I believe it was a gun placement during WWII.
Oh ya...now that I told you...if we ever met...I'll have to shoot you.;)

thanks everyone.

@Beth Anthony ...if my memory is correct...and trust me it's a little shaky...I believe we...Navy...used to use Battery Herring as a very secret spy listening post in the 70/80's. The only reason I know is that it was one of my duties when I was stationed in Staten Island in the 70's to watch over the twigits that maintained and operated in NY...NJ...DE. I believe it was a gun placement during WWII.
Oh ya...now that I told you...if we ever met...I'll have to shoot you.;)

it wouldn't surprise me if the place was used for various purposes through the 90s. i remember as a kid in the 90s the whole area, including the beach, was blocked off further north around where the main bunker is. further south it was blocked off north of where the resort area ends. all of that was opened up in recent years.

during ww2 i believe the guns were mounted on the backside of the building, there's a large (and empty) concrete slabs that runs to the edge of the small cliff. all the pine trees have been removed from that area.

thanks everyone.
it wouldn't surprise me if the place was used for various purposes through the 90s. i remember as a kid in the 90s the whole area, including the beach, was blocked off further north around where the main bunker is. further south it was blocked off north of where the resort area ends. all of that was opened up in recent years.

during ww2 i believe the guns were mounted on the backside of the building, there's a large (and empty) concrete slabs that runs to the edge of the small cliff. all the pine trees have been removed from that area.
Now...Just watch out for poison umbrellas.

1 and 3 Beth - lovely film look and tones to those two

Lovely set beth liking the fence and the first looks like somewhere @Dan Cattermole and myself could play in. I was worried for a moment that a battery herring was some kind of experimental underwater DSG.
so are they going to restore the site to it former WWII state as a heritage historic centre?

Lovely set beth liking the fence and the first looks like somewhere @Dan Cattermole and myself could play in. I was worried for a moment that a battery herring was some kind of experimental underwater DSG.
so are they going to restore the site to it former WWII state as a heritage historic centre?

short answer, no. long answer - don't get me started, it was in the running last year for delaware's first national park (we were the only state not to have a national park), but lost out to a single historic block in the state capital that contains nothing but privately owned historic homes that have been converted into law offices. :mad:

Back