Mount Brown Lookout in B & W

Ralph Thornton

Chris suggested I try a B&W conversion of these photos. Well here they are. What do you think? I put the original versions below for comparison.
Ralph

From the trail about halfway up to the lookout. This view is across the Snyder Creek drainage toward Edwards Mountain.
5169-edwards-bw.jpg

The Mount Brown Lookout all plastered with snow.
5121-lookout-bw.jpg

The originals for comparison
brown01.jpg

brown08.jpg

Well if by job you mean something I make a bunch of money on, I've got a long way to go there. But I do enjoy getting out in the wilds and photographing the interesting landscapes we have here in Montana.

The landscape works well in the B&W, but I can't say the new version of the lookout does a lot for me..
Brilliant photos though, whichever way you do them..

Thanks all. I'm still waiting for Chris to weigh in.

Oooooo Pete - you are awful! :D

Ralph - loving the B&W! :)

#1 is very Ansel, I think the nature of the image suits B&W with all the texture of the rocks and trees.

and #2, loving the way the B&W brings out the cloud detail

I think I'm pretty pleased with the first shot of Edwards Mountain. But there's something about the lookout photo that i don't like. The snow just doesn't look right and is missing the details that should be there. Perhaps it was too blown out in the color version and I just didn't see that. Or I might have messed it up in the conversion to B&W. I agree that the sky looks nice though. Maybe I need to reprocess the image and do something a little different for all of the ground subjects while keeping the sky part the way it is.

Im also going to process the Edwards scene as a large image and see what detail I have. Then maybe print it in a decent sized print.

Thanks for the comments. They're all very helpful.
Ralph

Maybe try a slight negative exposure grad to the lower section of the RAW image in Photoshop Ralph for #2?

Pull back the snow detail if it's there - worth a shot, and I see what you're talking about

Back