Mountains in Montana

Ralph Thornton

Been a very busy summer and it's flying by quickly. Haven't had time to check in here much and I miss that.

Last week I spent 8 days mountaineering in Glacier National Park. Here are a couple of mountain views from that adventure.

The view from the summit of Cathedral Peak.
fifty-14b.jpg

Vulture Peak in the clouds from near one of our camps.
fifty-32.jpg

There are more photos from this trip and a complete story on my ChoteauCam.
Ralph

Glacier is mostly old (precambrian) sedimentary rock. There are a few intrusions of lava but you definitely see layers everywhere in the mountains there.

Do I need to crop it differently? ; )

The second shot was made at sunset. I was hoping for more color but it didn't happen. : (

Ralph, looks like you've been a busy man!

Love the contrast of the small flowers (crocus?) in the first shot, and the snow still in the col below.

How do you prep for being without power for 8 days with things like camera batteries etc?

Last edited:
Looks a great place to spend a few days, although I'd worry about the bears!

Beautiful Ralph!
If your going to disappear for months at a time the come back with photos like these ... I'm sure we can find it in out hearts to let you up for deserting us ;) hehe

Ralph, looks like you've been a busy man!

Love the contrast of the small flowers (crocus?) in the first shot, and the snow still in the col below.

How do you prep for being without power for 8 days with things like camera batteries etc?
The small flowers in the foreground are sky pilot. TheY grow at high elevation in harsh climates. Look pretty but smell like a skunk when stepped on.

I carry 2 batteries and so far my 5DMKII seems to run a long time on each battery. On this trip I didn't even run down one battery. My most common lens (28-70 f2.8 L) has no IS so that saves power too. For storage I carry 3 4GB cards and 8GB and a 16GB. This seems enough in most cases for an 8day trip. But on this trip we did see some grizzly bears and I used up a 4GB card pretty fast. Sometimes I also carry a Gitzo tripod but on this trip my ice axe and crampons took precedence. Fortunately my son in law carried the rope!

WOW. A fabulous adventure and told so well with your pictures. Beautiful.

John :)

Back