My current toys

Their service centre will always take the easy option. I asked about sensor cleaning. It costs $50 for an SLR and $210 for a G9 as they just replace the whole lens assembly!

The AU Canon service centre is 10 minutes from where I work and I got that information when I dropped in. The guy suggested I sell the G9 on eBay and get a G12 instead.

Good luck and welcome Darren.

My brother lives in Sydney and picked it up for me on Friday, he's sending it to me on Monday so it'll be interesting to see what it's doing now. If it's the same as when i sent it it's all good, i can adjust most of it out with micro focus adjustment in the 7D. From what i was told by a mate who works for canon in Brisbane, they don't actually pull anything apart they just put it on the machice and it runs through it's process and can diagnose problems. So if thats the case it will be the same. Just a NZ$500 round trip for it.

Got the lens back and it's the same. The focus seems noisey but was probably like that before, i'm probabl just more aware of it after them saying i need a new USM. Anyway i had a play with the microfocus on my 7D and it's a lot better.
Here are thecropped Lenscal chart before and after pics..............before on left, after on right.

F2.8
F2_8.jpg

F3.2
F3_2.jpg

F3.5
F3_5.jpg

F4
F4.jpg

F4.5
F4_5.jpg

F5
F5.jpg

F5.6
F5_6.jpg

F6.3
F6_3.jpg

Well it seems you have a solution, even if it is perhaps not the ideal
Are you likely to pursue getting it fixed properly or are you happy with this as a solution full time?

I would like to find a new focus unit, or find someone who is more than just a parts fitter and can fix whatever the problem is. i will keep an eye out for a focus unit and if i see one anywhere and it's not over the top pricing i'll get it, but there is no point spending more money sending it to someone unless they can guarantee they can fix it. I've already spent $900 on top of the purchase price having the fungus removed and then sending it to Sydney and back.

Although I work as framer I'm currently involved in doing a video for an artist (part time project with a mate of mine) , we shot it all using the Cannon D5 , the results are outstanding to say the least, I didnt think this quality was possible. Anyone else shot video with a D5 ?

Last edited:
Looks like you're all set Darren! :D

Is it cheaper to buy from B&H even with shipping to NZ?

LR in a box... Never seen it in a box!
Make sure to register it online, that way you will never loose your reg key and you can download updates directly!

:D :D :D

Yeah depends what your buying but generally cheaper. Lightroom 3 was only US$149 so much cheaper than here, and not sure who stocks the change bags and splash bags here if anyone. The guys in the camera dept get theirs from Film Tools normally. Got stung for NZ$135 in customs and taxes bringing it up to $610 which was still cheaper than here.

Think i'm gonna try for the dust free look, wouldn't want to try and copy Hamish:)

woah that is a big upgrade, although, as hamish said

THE DARK SIDE !

to me, canon's don't feel right in my hand - how did you find the changeover?

Back