My garden #2 - Crested Barbit.

Rudi Venter

This guy, and his family, are not only visitors to my garden but permanent residents with a nest (hollow tree trunk) right in front of my study window. Needless to say I have MANY photos of the bunch of them.

They normally hatch 3 batches of eggs, 2 at a time, during our long summer so they are very busy parents!

crw_6186_std.jpg

Canon EOS 40D with Sigma 50-500mm at 500mm, f 7.1 and 1/200 sec, remote release via USB cable and PC.

The photo was taken using a camera on a tripod permanently looking out a window and aimed at this spot on the branch, I have captured many species in this spot!

Thanks for looking!
Rudi

Wow, now that's a colourful bird.

Great capture technique too - are you using Canon's live capture software to trigger the camera on USB?

Sigma lens look sharp - full frame or crop on this one?

Thanks Chris!

Yes, I used the Canon software, I can even do it remote by connecting to the PC via Remote Desktop and click from anywhere in the world!

The Sigma is sharp, but it is a long lens so many people say it is not sharp because they do not use proper long lens techniques. In this case it was tripod mounted and I used MLU so it was easy.

It is just about full frame, slight crop on the left hand side to get rid of a leave that caused a distracting blur.

The Sigma is sharp, but it is a long lens so many people say it is not sharp because they do not use proper long lens techniques. In this case it was tripod mounted and I used MLU so it was easy.

how would you describe as "proper long lens techniques" out of interest?

Very nice looking birds you have in your garden and a cracking good shot of it...

Back