my glass eye saw: The North Face

Brian Moore

T50-2Neopan400-034.jpg

Not of the Eiger, though. Its the Ocean Center Building in Long Beach, California. I shot this with my Canon T-50 and a 50mm FD lens. However, with that focal length I was unable to get the roof line in. It wouldn't have mattered anyway, since this image came out of the roll I messed up the development of, rendering one entire edge undeveloped. Turned out to be the top edge of each photo. So I cropped the top edge away.

I like to get whole things in the frame usually, but it was impossible here. Still, for some reason I like the photo. As you can see its a night time shot. I think the T-50 did a good job, considering it was hand-held. (Musta held my breath!)

I used Fuji Neopan 400 film and messed up the development in Rodinal 1:25.

(By the way, and this is way off topic, there is a German film called Nordwand--I think that's what it's called--and its based on the true story of a pair of German mountain climbers in the 1930s who attempt to climb the North Face of the Eiger. Saw it a few months ago. Excellent film. Subtitled, as I recall. There are a few old cameras to be spotted in it as well.)

I like the symmetry in the construction, and the smooth tone of the building.

Quick question for you as a film man - it's been decades since I bought B&W film - any suggestions as to which to look at for a decent contrast and detailed neg?

Thinking I might stick 400 ASA in the Canonet for the Cheap as Chips challenge - any thoughts?

Well,...if you want 400 you could go for Kodak Tri-X, which is always good. Fuji Neopan 400 is good. I like them both. That's what the picture above is. I haven't shot much Ilford but some people shoot it all the time. You might check what Freestyle has. Their Arista Premium range is Kodak stuff, their Legacy Pro range is Fuji I believe. They also have Ilford as well as some European brands such Efke, Fomapan and others.

Freestyle Photographic Supplies - Traditional Black & White Film, Paper, Chemicals, Holgas and ULF

Back