my glass i saw: Fall colors at Greenfield Village

Brian Moore

XAWalgreens800-027.jpg

This is at Greenfield Village in Dearborn Michigan.

Greenfield Village was built by Henry Ford to represent a typical American town, and he imported all kinds of buildings and artifacts to show off American culture, creativity and invention. For example, the original Wright brothers bicycle workshop--the one they built the first airplane in--is here, along with tools and equipment.

I took this image with my Olympus XA and Walgreens 800 ASA film.

The image is an odd one in that it looks as if it has been colorized--like an old postcard. It seems to fit the subject matter. However, this was purely accidental, since I have done no post processing whatsoever. I believe the "look" may be a result of me leaving the lens aperture too wide for the amount of light coming in, thus requiring the camera's smart little brain to work hard to find a suitable and complimentary shutter speed.

I like it and I hope you do too!

A nicely composed scene and a very interesting effect, I too thought old postcard. Hard to believe it wasn't done on PP!

The only area that looks a little strange is the lower green part of the tree. Otherwise, it works very well indeed.

Thanks, Tim. I'd like to be able to reproduce this effect. Do you think my assumption of what caused it (aperture too wide) is on the right track?

Thanks again.

Back