My Hands-on With The New Fuji X-t1

I thought that the X-Pro1 might well be my last camera. I was delighted with it from day one. It was the Contax G2 Digital that never was made. However, it has grown even better with each firmware upgrade. I am happily in no rush to move on.

However, I like what I am seeing in the X-T1, and in fact some of the cameras that preceded it. I like that Fuji ships promptly once the camera is fully functional and steadily upgrades it as technology advances. I was astounded to get a firmware upgrade many months after my X100 had been replaced with the X100s. Top Fuji management said there would be no X-Pro2 until they could bring significant new technology to market. They have patented a new organic sensor and now a sensor with different sized colour filters. Clearly as radical as the X-Trans sensor is, they are not stopping there.

By the time the X-Pro2 hits the market, I expect I will reconsider and probably replace the X-Pro1, if progress continues as it has. I have also been keeping the D700 for its GPS, intervalometer and variety of glass. The X-T1 has an intervalometer, so that is taken care of. It lacks a super-wide, but that is on the road map. If they add GPS capability, the X-Pro2 is pretty much a done deal by the time it comes along.

I have also been keeping the D700 for its GPS, intervalometer and variety of glass. The X-T1 has an intervalometer, so that is taken care of. It lacks a super-wide, but that is on the road map. If they add GPS capability, the X-Pro2 is pretty much a done deal by the time it comes along.
from what i've read the x-t1 has geotagging through wifi.

This is all rather X ci T1 ng ... groooooan

There is something about a FujiFilm logo.
I really liked carrying the S2 around hoping people would think i was still shooting film.

This is all rather X ci T1 ng ... groooooan

There is something about a FujiFilm logo.
I really liked carrying the S2 around hoping people would think i was still shooting film.

Indeed Ahmed, I got asked so many times when out with my X100 about using an old film camera, little did they know. Mind you the Leicatime case and strap gave it an even more retro air :)

I thought that the X-Pro1 might well be my last camera. I was delighted with it from day one. It was the Contax G2 Digital that never was made. However, it has grown even better with each firmware upgrade. I am happily in no rush to move on.

However, I like what I am seeing in the X-T1, and in fact some of the cameras that preceded it. I like that Fuji ships promptly once the camera is fully functional and steadily upgrades it as technology advances. I was astounded to get a firmware upgrade many months after my X100 had been replaced with the X100s. Top Fuji management said there would be no X-Pro2 until they could bring significant new technology to market. They have patented a new organic sensor and now a sensor with different sized colour filters. Clearly as radical as the X-Trans sensor is, they are not stopping there.

By the time the X-Pro2 hits the market, I expect I will reconsider and probably replace the X-Pro1, if progress continues as it has. I have also been keeping the D700 for its GPS, intervalometer and variety of glass. The X-T1 has an intervalometer, so that is taken care of. It lacks a super-wide, but that is on the road map. If they add GPS capability, the X-Pro2 is pretty much a done deal by the time it comes along.

Larry its a toss up for me between this or an Xe2, I guess the T1 will win, and then I will upgrade my X pro for the 2 if it goes up another level. I think Fuji are providing some great tools at the moment, without dumbing down the whole process of photography.

Lucky Chris getting the sneak peak.

At a Fuji event last week I had an opportunity to play with the new baby. I came away impressed:
- The EVF really is impressive. The first thing is the sheer size of the view. It's just unlike any other EVF, or most OVFs. Second is the resolution, and the refresh rate which makes it unlike any other EVF I have used. It's not smooth in any way. I'd just call it clear and bright, and real.
- Design. it is closer to the XE models in size than it is to the X-Pro1, not counting the hump. I don't have large hands, but I never liked the XEs: just too small, without reducing the overall bulk of a kit by any significant amount. Too fiddly. The X-Pro1 is just right. The new camera is cleverly designed, small like an XE, but with brilliantly designed button and control placement. It acts and feels bigger than it is, if that can make any sense. It's solid too. A very well thought out camera.
- It operates very very quickly in every sense. For my shooting the X-pro1 is plenty fast, the 100s is faster, and this one a bit faster still, and fast on all fronts.
- The moveable rear screen is nice, and perhaps the only thing I have on my X-Pro1 wish list

I would sum up by saying this camera maintains Fuji's direction of photographer and photography first, with features for the sake of being able to list them a low priority. This is a camera, just like the other X models.

All that said, I won't get one. I simply don't need it. It won't add any value to what I shoot or how I shoot it. More importantly, as good as the EVF is, I just love the OVF/EVF combo on my X-Pro1. Most shots are OVF, and with the overlay I get all the cool EVF info. But if this camera calls to you, I think you will be pleased with your purchase.

Oh, and Fuji confirmed emphatically that they will not be moving away from the OVF for future 100 and X-Pro1 models.

As for the 56 lens, well, I just refuse to discuss it. It's just too good. Beautiful size, weight and build, and shockingly good performance. Incredible value.

I think Fuji are providing some great tools at the moment, without dumbing down the whole process of photography.
Nick although I prefer the Pro & XE look, the stuff in X-T1 is just wooo.
I imagine XPro2 will have XT1 body goodies & dare I say 96% OVF & 4Million .85 magnification EVF ! + Organic sensor.

Last edited:
As for the 56 lens, well, I just refuse to discuss it. It's just too good. Beautiful size, weight and build, and shockingly good performance. Incredible value.

I cant wait to see it in the flesh. X-T1 just begs to be used with that biiiig glass.
F1.2 at that price & all round wholesomeness ... well its worth getting an X series just for.

Back