My Hands-on With The New Fuji X-t1

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Back in early January, at CES in Las Vegas, Zack Arias and I met up with Billy from the Fuji Guys - our mission, was to get our hands on the secret new X camera.

Luckily, 'Fuji Guys' Billy is actually Billy Luong, manager of Product Training & Community Development at FUJIFILM Canada - and Billy had access to the goods!

After a lengthy conversation around current Fuji models, Zack's trip to Japan, and a round of 'selfies' with Zach's cellphone, and then my X-Pro1

TS560x560

View: original size

The time had come to mention... it...

Zach first asks about the 56mm f/1.2, but I come straight out with it, and hit up Billy with 'so do we get to see the new X camera then?'

Billy looks slightly furtive, scans the crowd around us to see if anyone has overheard - Zack pipes in with 'you know, the X-T1'.

So that's what it's called, the X-T1! I try to repeat it to myself to memorize it, but end up typing it into a text on my iPhone, so I've got it logged.

Billy asks us to come back in a while, as he has some meetings to do first - I try and find somewhere else to look around that's not too far from the Fuji stand.

After an hour I spot him coming out of a small meeting room at the back of the stand - he has a black camera bag in his hands.

I walk up and say 'is that it then?'

He nods, and points at one of the meeting rooms.

We head inside, and he closes and locks the door - there's a table and four chairs -and that big black camera bag.

Billy asks me to put my iPhone and X-Pro1 on the table - there are to be NO pictures.

He fumbles with the locks on the black bag - it has to be the most secure camera bag I've ever seen!

Eventually he gets it open - he reaches in and pulls out the X-T1 with the 56mm f/1.2 attached - and passes it to me.

I'm finally there, with the mystery camera - I try and memorize everything that occurs to me as I play with it.

TS560x560

View: original size

I've written my thoughts and observations down as best I can here:

http://f-sunny.com/hands-on-fuji-x-t1/

I'm happy to try and answer any questions you have after you've read the hands-on - and no, I don't have one to lend out to anyone!

Official Fuji press release here: http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n140128.html

nice. just preordered mine. i'm going to get a grip eventually, just not sure which one i want..

i'm happy with the sd card slot being moved. i didn't mind it being in with the battery so much as i couldn't open the battery door with a tripod foot on.

any idea what the two mystery buttons are on the front of the camera? the bottom two are self explanatory, the top two are the ones i'm wondering about.

might want to check the last line ($1299 Body Only – Early Match Release)

I'll be going with the full grip - it felt right, and I love the grips from the Canon's with the portrait controls on them

I think top right is an X Sync socket for studio use - guessing as I didn't check it

Whilst I love some of the features, I can't help feeling that Fuji are trying to join the club. The X series cameras which started out with the X100, my first camera :) was I feel a ground breaker. Likewise the X pro 1. Small, compact, rangefinder homage. The image quality superb.

I just feel they have produced a small Dslr type camera, don't get me wrong some of the features sound awesome, but I hope that the shape and size of the X pro 1/Xe series won't be forgotten. I personally feel that Fuji's niche was with this style of camera, whilst the XT1 starts to go up against some of the smaller Dslrs from Nikon/Canon. Much like the Fuji S pro series from a few years ago.

Saying all of the above, given a year of shooting with the X pro, and being fully wedded to the system, I think it's on my buy list. Until the X pro 2 makes it's debut.

I seeing Fuji continuing a dual track, rangefinder style and SLR style bodies, with a common range of lenses

It's funny, like many people, I have been suspicious of EVFs on stills cameras even though I am quite happy with them on a video camera - although I usually use a monitor I suppose (and they are usually much larger). Maybe they have reached the point at which the difference between them and a OVF is negligible and the potential benefits of an EVF can come to the fore. Looking forward to how you get on with the one on the X-T1.

It's funny, like many people, I have been suspicious of EVFs on stills cameras even though I am quite happy with them on a video camera - although I usually use a monitor I suppose (and they are usually much larger). Maybe they have reached the point at which the difference between them and a OVF is negligible and the potential benefits of an EVF can come to the fore. Looking forward to how you get on with the one on the X-T1.
It was certainly a WOW moment when I looked through it for the first time - I'm sure it will sway some OVF users to the electronic side of the fence

I'm really quite used to using the EVF now, even though I have the OVF on the X-Pro1 - I like the WYSIWYG feature when playing with exposure comp for example - I get a really good feel for getting it right by judging the EVF image

LUST with the 56 f1.2 ... wibbbbllllle

Super writeup Chris.

http://f-sunny.com/hands-on-fuji-x-t1/

"The EVF display has the usual head-up display of key camera settings around the perimeter, but with the X-T1 this HUD data rotates as you move the camera from landscape to portrait.
Now that I’ve seen it done this way, I wonder why manufacturers didn’t do it this way on all models?
pic_03.jpg

Switching to manual focus brings up a picture in picture (PIP) window on the EVF – a zoomed area of the image, so that you can see the detail for manual focussing, at the same time as seeing the whole image for composition.
10.jpg

This is genius!
"

Purely based on looks I'm gonna say I don't like it .... but.... on that basis I said the same about the x100s when they arrived and I now love mine .... gimme a year and I'll probably buy one :D

Purely based on looks I'm gonna say I don't like it .... but.... on that basis I said the same about the x100s when they arrived and I now love mine .... gimme a year and I'll probably buy one :D
I'm the same with cars - hate new models until they've been on the road for a few years - then they grow on me!

Chris just how does it compare to the X pro 1 in size? and weight?
I guess its a similar size without the appendages.
yes - similar size and weight surprisingly

Back