My New Friends

Brian Moore

Meet my new friends, Shay and David.

"Nice camera!" he observed of my Yashica 635 whilst standing beside me at the Civil War Battle of Huntington Central Park last weekend. Such remarks delight me, and thus commenced an acquaintanceship that lasted a good 20 minutes or so and culminated in this fotie.

You may be unable to perceive it, but I underexposed this image (and the entire roll) by about 3 stops. (I think.) I was setting my exposure values by the principles of the Sunny 16 Rule. Forgetting that I had loaded the camera with Ektar 100, I shot the entire roll at 1/500th shutter speed and anywhere from f8 to f16 aperture. And yet, such is the latitude of Ektar that I got good images back--a tiny bit thinner and less pungent than I would expect from Ektar, but perfectly usable images with no push whatsoever in development.

Shay, despite her metal studs, copious tattoos and lavender hair in avant-gard doo, is a lover of history. Indeed, she has a thing for honest Abe Lincoln. On the fleshy part of her left hand between her thumb and index finger she sports a remarkably precise image of Abe Lincoln's head. When they left me they were on their way to find the Abe Lincoln character to have a chat.

Shay had tried on a couple of occasions to join one or two of the ladies Civil War re-enactor groups but had been rebuffed. She feels this is because she doesn't fit the profile. She feels it is discrimination. I have to agree. It seems sad that they won't let her in.

Brian - you and that camera were clearly made for each other

Both in the reactions you get when using it - and the excellent images you produce with it

Excellent latitude on the film - modern color print film is amazingly tolerant it seems

Brian - you and that camera were clearly made for each other

Both in the reactions you get when using it - and the excellent images you produce with it

Excellent latitude on the film - modern color print film is amazingly tolerant it seems

Thanks Chris. Much appreciated. It's a great wee camera. It's much smaller and lighter than the Mamiya C33 and thus a wee bit easier to carry around. But it's equally good fun!

Back