My Next Guitar

My wife and I visited Flavel House in Astoria, Oregon. The guy built the place in the 1880's and only ended up living there for 7 years prior to his demise at age 69. They had an 11 string harp guitar on display. It didn't look particularly well kept but here's a snap for you. I would have sent this to you via PM but unless the image is hosted online you can't include it in a PM.
for rob.jpg

I used to visit the music education company TrueFire in St. Petersburg, Florida annually when my mother was still alive. She lived about 25 miles away. TF people are very nice, and I went out to dinner with them on at least one occasion, as well as eating community-style lunch on-site.

I asked the about certain courses, like one on harp guitar. I asked how many people actually own them. Some find antiques, and some need to have one built.

They replied that it wasn't important how many course copies they sell. It's about creating the content for things they feel are important to document.

On that trip I left a camera battery & charger plugged in, contacted them to see if I had left it, and they located it. They shipped it back to me, with an autographed copy of a CD, because someone at the table overheard my incredulous view of the harp-guitar.

Stephen Bennett - In-A-Gadda-Da-Stephen (not a link...the text I copied was formatted).​

I initially thought the CD was a joke, until I listened to it! It's not like the heyday of harp-guitars, but it's skillfully done and listenable. I loaned it to someone and his son borrowed it. I didn't get it back for years, but it was eventually returned!

Murray

Well, here is my latest guitar, which I am over the moon with. This video explains. I start by playing a Scottish lute piece from the 1620s:

and here's an Italian lute piece from 100 years earlier, without using the low basses:

It is half guitar, half Renaissance lute - only ten frets to the body join (typical for lutes) and the first six strings are in regular guitar tuning but with the 3rd string at F#. The basses are DCBA. I played lutes for 30+ years, professionally for 20. I haven't played a concert for a decade, but have a busy YouTube site: https://www.youtube.com/@RobMacKillop1

I'm not a fan of harp guitars with metal strings, and basses that ring on for a generation. The strings I use are Nylgut, or copper-wound nylgut basses, with their shorter sustain.

I also have a 13-string guitar in Baroque-lute tuning, from treble to bass: fdaFDAGFEDCBA. Here's a French baroque piece which uses 11 of the strings:

Well, here is my latest guitar, which I am over the moon with. This video explains.
Rob, the back of that 10-string is beautiful! Of course, your playing is just amazing as well! Thanks for your discussion regarding the instrument.

Back